The Best Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole is made completely from scratch in this easy one pan recipe that’s sure to please the whole family!
Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic family favorite here in the United States. It is total comfort food. In this recipe I’ve stuck with a completely “from scratch” concept. In addition, this recipe is made in just ONE pan.
A lot of times nowadays chicken and rice casserole comes from a box or is made from a bunch of canned ingredients. Not here! I’m bringing you completely from scratch deliciousness for your family to enjoy. You still get to dump everything in a pan, but this time it’s all whole, real ingredients.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO cream of chicken in this dish. This recipe utilizes a homemade version of cream of chicken instead. This may lead you to wonder what you can do to use homemade cream of chicken soup in other recipes. I’ve got you covered.
What can I use as a substitute for cream of chicken soup?
You can make your own cream of chicken soup easily at home! Start by melting 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and cook 1 minute. Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup milk, half and half, or cream. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual reference point and I’ve got you covered!
Best Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 white onion, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Stir rice onion, 3 tablespoons melted butter, and flour together directly in the pan until flour has no more visible white specks. Pour in chicken broth, heavy cream, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Place chicken thighs on top of rice mixture. Brush remaining melted butter on top and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes until rice and chicken are cooked through and the chicken skin crisps up. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!