The Best Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole is made completely from scratch in this easy one pan recipe that’s sure to please the whole family!
Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic family favorite here in the United States. It is total comfort food. In this recipe we’ve stuck with a completely “from scratch” concept. In addition, this recipe is made in just ONE pan.
A lot of times nowadays, chicken and rice casserole comes from a box or is made from a bunch of canned ingredients. Not here! We are bringing you completely from scratch deliciousness for your family to enjoy. You still get to dump everything in a pan, but this time it’s all whole, real ingredients. There is ABSOLUTELY NO cream of chicken in this dish.
We recommend using only regular white rice in this recipe. Instant rice is not a good option and will overcook in this casserole. Brown rice requires a much longer cooking time than white rice and is also not recommended for this recipe.
Is Best Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole really made in only one pan?
This recipe is made directly in a 9×13 baking dish. There’s no need to dirty any bowls or pots or pans. Simply stir everything together directly in the 9×13 pan, add in your chicken, season, and bake. It’s that simple!
Chicken thighs are used in this recipe because they will stay moist during the long baking process. If you prefer, chicken breasts can be used instead, but you’ll want to check the chicken and rice to see if both are done after baking for 1 hour. The additional 30 minutes of cooking may be unnecessary for chicken breasts. Use thick chicken breasts for best results.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious chicken thigh recipes:
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Easy Garlic Lime Skillet Chicken
- Mom’s Chicken Cacciatore
- Mexican-Spiced Chicken Thighs
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Best Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 to 6 whole chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- Stir rice, onion, 3 tablespoons melted butter, and flour together directly in the 9×13 pan until flour has no more visible white specks. Spread rice mixture out evenly on the bottom of the pan. Pour in chicken broth, heavy cream, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Place chicken thighs on top of rice mixture. Brush remaining melted butter on top and sprinkle chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and paprika (optional).
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes until rice and chicken are cooked through and the chicken skin crisps up. For crispier skins, place under the broiler setting for 2-3 minutes before serving. Serve hot.