Chicken thighs are one of my favorite chicken parts to cook with. They are always tender and moist, and as a bonus they are always cheap. Chicken thighs are one of my go-to dinners for nights where I just don’t know what else to do.
The first time I made this particular version was several years ago. It was a beautiful 70 degree Sunday afternoon. I decided we should have a little picnic in the backyard. I threw together these chicken thighs and made some fresh tortillas (admittedly I use the cook and serve variety when I’m feeling lazy). I kicked back in my lounge chair with an IBC cream soda and a plate of this chicken and a couple tortillas. After that is all a blur of gluttony. The meat was moist and flavorful, the skin…oh the skin!….it was crisp and packed a punch of flavor. How could 5 minutes of prep work lead to such heavenly food? I found myself using that tortilla to soak up any last ounce of flavor. I’ve made these many, many time since and every time I’m met with glutenous joy.
If you’ve ever been afraid to cook with bone-in skin-on chicken, now is the time to get over it and enjoy that moist meat and crispy skin. Please, join me in my Sunday backyard picnic heaven. It’s full of amazingness I tell you!
I’ve made a video to show you just how easy it is to make this recipe. Join be on my YouTube Channel too where I put out 3 new episodes a week. Subscribe and check out all my videos. With over 150 there’s sure to be something yummy that you will love!
Mexican-Spiced Chicken Thighs
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 limes to juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lay out the chicken thighs in the prepared pan, skin-side up. Squeeze the lime juice all over the meat.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle generously over the meat.
- Divide the butter up into 8 little clumps. Place 1 clump on top of each chicken thigh.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.