Pasta Pomodoro is a quick and easy pasta dish that will quickly become a family favorite. This quick pasta sauce is full of tomato flavor. It’s simple, tasty, and total comfort food.
Pomodoro in Italian simply means tomato. This is a simple, tomato pasta that is a classic Italian comfort food dish. Don’t let its simplicity fool you, it’s also full of flavor. It is meant to be a quick red sauce that still retains a lot of fresh flavor rather than the heavier feel of a marinara or a bolognese sauce.
My Other Recipes
Pro Tip: Use San Marzano style tomatoes in this recipe for best results. This means that the tomatoes come from a very specific region of Italy, or if labeled “style, come from the same type of tomato. Normally canned tomatoes are of the roma variety. San Marzano tomatoes are known for having a bolder tomato flavor and are slightly more sweet.
If you want to use fresh tomatoes in this recipe, you’ll need to peel them. To do so, simply blanch them in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes and then immediately submerge them into ice water. The peel should easily come off.
What is in a pomodoro sauce?
Pomodoro sauce is usually very simple, consisting of little more than tomatoes, olive oil, and a handful of other ingredients to add flavor. It is meant to be a quick, light, and fresh sauce, rather than a heavy tomato based sauce that requires a long simmering time.
What is linguine pomodoro? What is spaghetti pomodoro?
Pomodoro is simply a tomato based sauce. If you call it linguine pomodoro or spaghetti pomodoro, you are simply designating what pasta shape it is being served over.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual and I’ve always got you covered with my very own cooking show. You can find the entire collection of episodes on my YouTube Channel, with individual videos placed on my website with their corresponding recipes.
- 1 28 ounce can peeled whole tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Place tomatoes into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onion and saute 5 to 7 minutes until soft. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute more.
- Pour in tomato puree, season with salt, and bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions, drain.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Add in butter and parmesan and toss until butter is melted.
- Serve hot topped with basil.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!