Traditional Irish Soda Bread is a dense and moist bread that requires no rising time and just four simple ingredients to make.
This Irish Soda Bread is a delicious recipe that goes back many many years. Using only 4 ingredients it comes together quickly and serves a crowd. A great quick recipe when you have minimal ingredients and time.
Is Irish Soda Bread really Irish?
While that question has been asked for many years, the truthful answer is no. Irish Soda Bread or Soda Bread is a quick bread using baking soda as a leavening agent. The chemical reaction between the baking soda and buttermilk in this recipe produces carbon dioxide which causes it to rise.
The Irish like other many European countries back in the early 1800’s didn’t produce much hard wheat to make a good yeast bread, and adopted the soda bread as their own and hence the name Irish Soda Bread.
How do you eat Irish Soda Bread?
While there are many ways to eat this tasty bread the most typical way to enjoy it is with a spread of butter. While adding some jam or marmalade to it also produces a fun flavorful breakfast type feel.
You can also serve it along side soups for dipping or instead of slicing into chunks you can slice thinly and make them into sandwiches, which this bread would serve well because it’s sturdy.
How do you store Irish Soda Bread?
While this particular bread can dry out quickly, it is best to store it tightly wrapped or in an air safe container to preserve it longer. You can store it wrapped for about 3-4 days or freeze it for up to 2-3 months.
So if you have minimal ingredients on hand at home but have a hankering for bread, this Irish Soda Bread recipe is a quick, easy option and is 100% delicious!
If you like this recipe you may also be interested in these other delicious bread recipes:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Rosemary Cheddar Dutch Oven Bread
- Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread
- Flaky Old Fashioned Biscuits
- Homemade Dinner Rolls
Irish Soda Bread
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt or 2 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large bowl whisk together your flour, baking soda and salt. Add in your buttermilk and stir until it just comes together.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until it forms a smooth ball. Dust the outside with flour and place on an un-greased baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to slash a 1 inch deep cross on top of the loaf.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!