Rustic Garlic Parmesan Herb Bread is a savory artisan style bread that anyone can make. This delicious and fragrant bread is the perfect complement to any meal. Enjoy!
Don’t you love those pretty bread loaves you see in the baskets at fancy grocery stores? You know the ones—they look like the work of a famous baker who has kept a secret family recipe that has been passed down for generations. This bread is one of those breads, except anyone can make it. The recipe is simple and the ingredients are ones you probably have in your pantry. The heady, fragrant herbs will fill your kitchen with the irresistible aroma of those beautiful, artisan loaves you’ve been eyeing at the store.
Savory herbs are mixed in with warm water and yeast to blend the flavors and activate the leavening. Then, the parmesan and flour are mixed in until the dough is formed. Bonus—no kneading necessary! Once the ingredients are combined and the dough has formed, the yeast will take over and do the rest of the work. So minus the rise times and the bake time, it only takes a few minutes to put this bread together. it’s so good, the longest part of making it is waiting a few minutes for it to cool before you can eat it.
Do I have to use a stand mixer for Rustic Garlic Parmesan Herb Bread?
No. This recipe is easy to mix up by hand—no kneading, just make sure the dough is formed.
How should I store the bread once it is made?
It would be surprising if your bread isn’t devoured immediately, but to store these lovely loaves, wrap tightly in tin foil and do not refrigerate. It should keep for up to 4 days.
Can I use fresh herbs in place of dried?
Yes, fresh herbs can also be used. To match up the strength of flavor, you should use about three times the amount of the dried herbs respectively. Make sure to mince the herbs really small so the flavors spread throughout the bread.
We call for all-purpose flour in this recipe, but you can also use bread flour if desired.
If you liked this bread, you may want to try your hand at some of these other delicious bread recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Rustic Garlic Parmesan Herb Bread
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large mixing bowl, add yeast, sugar, and water. Stir in salt, rosemary, basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Add in 2 cups of flour and the parmesan cheese and stir until combined. Gradually add in the remaining 1/2 cup flour (if needed) until you have a smooth and elastic dough that is tacky, but doesn't stick to your hands.
- Transfer to a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover, and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into two separate round loaves. Place loaves onto the prepared baking sheet. Let rise another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Top each loaf with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- Bake in the 375 degree oven for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.