Butternut Squash Soup is a creamy bowl of comfort food goodness! It’s easy to make, full of healthy vegetables, and ready in under 30 minutes.
If you love squash, you are going to love this soup. Honestly, we could have it every day of the week. It seems like most people have soup as a side to a main course, but we think it is the main star! You can frequently find us eating leftover soup for lunches throughout the week, even making a double batch just to be sure there’s enough leftovers to last. Whether you enjoy your soup on the side of an entree, or as the main course, you are going to love butternut squash soup. Don’t take our word for it though — put this on your meal plan asap!
How to Choose a Butternut Squash:
When picking out a butternut squash, first look for color. It should be a solid beige color and not have any deep cuts or bruises. Sometimes they get a little scratched during shipping and at the grocery store. Small surface only scratches are fine. Next, pick up the squash. If it feels heavy for its size, it’s a good one.
Time Saving Tip:
If you want to make the prep work a bit easier, you can usually find pre-cut squash in the produce section of most grocery stores.
We love the richness cream gives to this soup, but if you are looking for a lighter soup you can substitute with half and half.
Butternut squash soup stores really well. You can freeze it, or store it in the fridge. It will stay good in the fridge for about 5 days, and it will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months. Another fun option is to turn it into a pasta sauce. Simmer it over medium low heat until the sauce reduces and thickens up. Then serve over pasta.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may enjoy these other classic soup recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium white or yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 ribs celery sliced
- 1 medium apple peeled, cored, and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in onion and saute for 5 minutes, until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in butternut squash, carrots, celery, apple, and vegetable stock. Season with salt, nutmeg, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
- Puree using an immersion blender, or transfer in batches to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Stir in heavy cream and serve hot.