Whether you are celebrating Chinese New Year, or simply making an every day meal, this Slow Cooker Hot and Sour Soup is an easy and delicious dinner. This isn’t exactly an authentic Chinese recipe, but I’ve made it as easy as possible so that anyone and everyone can celebrate. It just doesn’t get any easier than the slow cooker! Toss it in and come back later for a delicious meal!
Chinese New Year is the celebration of the new lunisolar Chinese calendar. It has been celebrated for centuries. There are lots of fun traditions, myths, and superstitions that go along with it which makes it easy for the whole world to get involved. It’s a fun little celebration meant to bring families together, and what better way to do that than with food?
What is tofu made out of?
What are the different varieties of tofu?
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. If you like this recipe you may also be interested in my recipe for Hot and Sour Shrimp Wonton Soup.
Slow Cooker Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
- 8 cups (2 quarts) chicken broth
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup canned bamboo shoot strips
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon crushed fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 square firm tofu, cubed
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Pour chicken broth into a 5 to 8 quart slow cooker. Stir in soy sauce, rice vinegar, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, ginger, sriracha, white pepper, sugar and tofu.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
- Stir in cilantro and green onions just before serving. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!