This Easy Caprese Soup is full of hearty tomato flavor and topped off with fresh mozzarella cheese and a drizzle of balsamic for the ultimate comfort food soup.
I was originally introduced to caprese by my in-laws who have lived in Italy a couple of different times. Caprese love has swept the world over the past decade thanks to blogs and Pinterest and all the people who can’t get enough of the tomato, basil, cheesey goodness. I love it just as much as anyone else!
In this recipe I’ve taken all of the classic flavors of caprese and turned it into a delicious soup. It’s a hearty tomato soup base (based on my version of the best tomato soup ever), add in some fresh basil, melt some fresh mozzarella on top, and drizzle it with balsamic vinegar and you have a pretty dang amazing soup.
This recipes calls for the use of canned fire roasted diced tomatoes. The fire roasted adds a lot of extra smokey flavor which I highly recommend. If you want to make the soup base completely from scratch, roasting your own tomatoes. I have a recipe for that as well. It’s also important to use fresh basil in this recipe. Nothing compares to the flavor of fresh basil and dried just won’t cut it!
In this recipe I have you puree the soup. If you want to switch things up with a chunky tomato soup, either partially puree it, or leave it completely chunky. When pureeing you can either use an immersion blender or transfer it to a regular blender. Just remember to vent out the blender so that pressure doesn’t build up. You don’t want a tomato explosion!
If you like this recipe you should also check out my Lasagna Stuffed Chicken Breasts which are also full of cheesy tomato goodness. For more Italian fare, check out my Pressed Italian Picnic Sandwiches. They are outrageously good! And if you are into homemade bread, this soup would be outrageously good served up with my Homemade Focaccia.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. You can check out my entire video collection on YouTube and stay up to date with all of my recipes, including videos, over on Facebook.
Easy Caprese Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly chopped basil
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add in the diced onion and saute for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add half of the fresh basil leaves, Use a handheld immersion blender to puree until smooth (or transfer to a blender to puree and return to the pot). Stir in the heavy cream, taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Divide into ceramic bowls and top with a slice of mozzarella. Place under the broil setting in the oven and broil until cheese is brown and bubbly, 2-3 minutes. Garnish with basil leaves and drizzle balsamic vinegar on top.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!