This green bean casserole is easy to make, and doesn’t require cream of mushroom soup, so you get great, from-scratch flavor but without extra hassle.
Green bean casseroles notoriously call for cream of mushroom soup. Do you know what’s in that stuff? Okay, it tastes alright, but it is full of preservatives and texture enhancing chemicals that you can’t pronounce. Why use it when you can make this casserole with better, healthier ingredients and create something even tastier? You’ll never have to beg your kids to eat their green beans again.
This recipe is an easier version of my Old Fashioned Green Bean Casserole, which is all from scratch. In this version, you will use canned green beans and prepared fried onions, which makes it simpler, faster, and easier than my traditional method.
Can I use fresh green beans in Easy Green Bean Casserole?
Yes, just make sure they are softened in advance. We recommend steaming for 15 to 20 minutes. Here is a great help for doing that: How to Cook the Best Green Beans Ever.
Half and Half Substitutes:
You should avoid using skim milk, but you are welcome to use any other milk in place of half and half. On the other hand, you can use heavy cream if you want an even richer casserole.
Can I make my own fried onions?
Yes. Instructions for doing that are included in my Old Fashioned Green Bean Casserole Recipe.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator fo cup to 5 days. Reheat single serving portions in the microwave until warmed through.
If you’re looking for awesome holiday recipes, here are some that will bring the flavor to your celebrations:
- Easy Peasy Pumpkin Pie
- The Creamiest Mashed Potatoes
- Juiciest Turkey Recipe Ever
- The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Easy Green Bean Casserole (No Cream of Mushroom!)
- 1/2 pound bacon diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 (15 ounce cans) green beans drained
- 1 1/2 cups french fried onions
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in diced bacon and cook until crispy, about 12 minutes. Do not drain grease*. Stir in flour until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute 60 seconds. Pour in chicken broth, half and half, black pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil and let simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Place green beans into a lightly greased 9×13 pan. Pour bacon mixture over the green beans and toss to coat. Bake in the 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the fried onions over the top. Return to the 450 degree oven for 5 minutes before serving.