The Best Scalloped Potatoes are easier to make than you might think! This scalloped potato recipe has a classic creamy sauce and is topped off with extra cheese for cheesy scalloped potatoes that are total comfort food.
I’m a huge fan of scalloped potatoes. They are total comfort food! I’ve shared various recipes with you throughout the years including my Jalapeno Scalloped Potatoes, which put a spicy twist on the classic dish, and I’ve also shown you how to make scalloped potatoes in your slow cooker. Today I’m sharing a classic scalloped potato recipe that is comfort food at its finest.
How do you slice potatoes thinly?
A mandoline is a very useful tool that is great for slicing items thinly, as well as into other various shapes. If you don’t have a mandoline a food processor is a very fast option for slicing potatoes. Use a slicing blade and simply run your potatoes through the processor.
If you don’t have either of these tools, you can always use a regular chef’s knife. Slice your potatoes in half lengthwise to create a flat, stable surface to work on. Then simply use your knife (the sharper the better) to cut the potatoes as thinly as you can.
The baking time on scalloped potatoes ultimately depends on how thinly you were able to slice your potatoes. The estimate of 1 hour provided in the recipe is only an estimate. If you cut your potatoes on the thicker side, they may take 15-30 minutes longer. If you cut your potatoes paper thin, your casserole may be done after only 40 minutes. Please adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of the recipe, including more tips and tricks along the way.
How do you make Homemade Scalloped Potatoes?
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish.
- Use a mandolin or food processor to thinly slice your potatoes. Pour all of the slices into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour heavy cream over the potatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Add in garlic, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Toss together until cheese and seasonings are evenly dispersed.
- Spread out into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, until potatoes are tender. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!