Double Chocolate Banana bread is coming at you with both cocoa powder and chocolate chips for a truly chocolate-y experience! If you love classic banana bread, you are going to love this chocolate twist!
We love a good banana bread. In fact, we crave it all the time! But sometimes we’re looking for just a touch of extra sweetness, and there’s nothing better than adding chocolate to banana bread. In this recipe we’ve got you covered with double the chocolate, using both cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Should we really even call this bread anymore? It is deliciously chocolatey like a cake! Either way, you are going to love it!
Can I make Double Chocolate Banana Bread into muffins:
You absolutely can!
You can split the dough 4 ways for a Texas muffin tin, and bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
Divide the dough in half and make 2 mini loafs. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
If you want to make muffins, line a muffin pan with paper cups and fill each cup 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes.
You can use either milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe. It all just depends on your own personal taste preferences. For a truly decadent experience, use half milk chocolate chips and half semi-sweet chocolate chips.
What if my bananas aren’t ripe enough?
You really do want to use overripe bananas. If you don’t have any ready, just preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place your bananas on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, still in the peel. Once it’s preheated, put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
The outside of the bananas will begin to speckle brown. Remove the bananas from the oven and let them rest on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes. The bananas will turn completely brown. Once cool enough, peel the banana and you’ll have a beautiful yellow and mushy banana that’s ready to use.
Allow your loaf to cool completely before storing in an airtight container or zip-top bag. It should last for approximately 5 days.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious bread recipes:
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 4 medium bananas , very ripe
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips , milk or semi sweet
- Position the oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350° Farhenheit. Lightly grease a standard 8×4 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until almost smooth. Add the egg and whisk until combined then whisk in the salted butter.
- Once combined, whisk in the brown sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt and using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir until combined. Slowly stir in the flour, stirring gently between each addition, being careful not to over mix. Add the chocolate chips if using them and fold until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check the bread at around the 40 minute mark.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool completely before cutting.