Quick bread is a delightfully moist, sweet bread product that can be made in practically any flavor! We’ll teach you how to make a perfect quick bread base recipe, as well as how to customize the flavors to fit every occasion!
You’ve probably been making quick bread for years, and you didn’t even know it! If you’ve ever made muffins, cornbread, or banana bread, you have made quick bread — a bread product leavened with baking powder or soda, and without any yeast. Quick breads are some of our most favorite foods, not just because they’re always moist and delicious, but because they don’t even require any kneading or rising time! We love how well this recipe adapts to different flavors and add-ins, and we’re sure you’ll agree. We hope you have enough loaf pans, because you’ll want to make every flavor possible!
Baking Soda and Baking Powder:
We have found that a blend of baking soda and baking powder is best in this recipe. We do not recommend substituting to only use one or the other. Be sure to add both!
The best egg substitute that won’t change the flavor or texture of quick bread is a commercial egg-replacement product at your local grocery store. You should be able to find this near the eggs or in your store’s refrigerated vegetarian section.
Flavors and Add-ins:
There are so many different flavor options out there, you can’t go wrong! However, some of our favorite quick bread flavors are:
Banana bread: A classic quick bread favorite. Make sure to use freshly mashed, overripe bananas, ground cinnamon, and chopped walnuts if you enjoy that bit of crunch.
Pumpkin Bread: Make sure to use pumpkin puree, and not a pumpkin pie mix. Vegetable oil, rather than melted butter, produces the most moist pumpkin bread. Pumpkin pie mix will give a better blend of flavors, and chocolate chips are always a fun add-in for pumpkin bread.
Apple Bread: We absolutely love this quick bread flavor! You can use any applesauce you like, and swap out that granulated sugar for brown sugar. Keep it classic with ground cinnamon, and we prefer to use a blend of 1/2 cup whole wheat flour with 1 cup all-purpose flour. Add some amazing texture with diced or dried apples.
Allow your quick bread to cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious quick bread recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Quick Bread Recipe (Any flavor!)
- 1 cup fruit puree mashed banana, pumpkin puree, applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nuts mini chocolate chips, or chopped dried or diced fruits (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and lightly grease one 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together fruit puree, sugar, melted butter (or vegetable oil), egg, and vanilla extract until well combined and creamy, about 60-90 seconds.
- Stir in salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice) until just combined. Then add in flour and stir until everything is well incorporated. Fold in any additional nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruits as desired.
- Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.