Banana cake is a moist cake made in a 9×13 pan filled with ripe bananas and cinnamon. Top this banana cake recipe with cream cheese frosting and extra bananas and serve!
Banana cake is one of the recipes everyone loves! Kids, families and friends will love this moist cake recipe topped with cream cheese frosting.
To make the best banana cake you’ll want to make sure your bananas are extra ripe. When you’re at the grocery store look for the bananas that have lots of brown speckles, especially if you want to make it right away. The more rip they are the more easier they will be too mash.
When you mash the bananas for this banana cake you can either use the back of a fork or a potato masher. Both will do the trick!
What are the Ingredients for banana cake?
The ingredients in banana cake are very similar to a traditional banana cake except we’re adding mashed bananas and cinnamon. The ingredients in this banana cake recipe include: banana, cinnamon, flour, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, sour cream, salt and leaveners.
When you mix all of these ingredients together and bake them you get a moist, crumby and flavorful cake. It’s just enough banana! And it goes so well with the cream cheese frosting!
How to Make Banana Cake:
- 1 ½ cups mashed banana about 3-4 large ripe bananas
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream at room temperature
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 inch pan. Set aside
- To make the cake, mash the bananas with a potato masher or the back of a fork in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment of a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter on high speed until light and creamy, 1-2 minutes. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat on high speed again for -3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and beat on high speed until combined, another 1-2 minutes. Then add bananas and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixture in three rounds, alternating with the sour cream until completely combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 43-46 minutes. Cake will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Add the vanilla and salt and beat to combine. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing well between each addition. Stop at 3 cups and add more sugar 1/8 cup at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Spread cream cheese on frosting cooled cake and top with extra bananas and cinnamon if desired.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!