How to roast beets:
How to boil beets:
How to steam beets:
Steaming vegetables is a healthy way to cook vegetables. It requires no additional fats and the steaming process helps the vegetable itself to retain more nutrients and flavor. There are a few different methods you can use.
There is an actual specialized kitchen appliance you can buy called a steamer. It has a base, a steaming basket, and a lid. You just fill the base with a couple inches of water, put the beets in the basket that fits over the base, put the lid on, heat the water to simmering, and steam away. It takes about 12 to 15 minutes to steam cubed beets.
2. Makeshift Steamer
A makeshift steamer can be made using a pot, a colander, and a lid that at least somewhat fits. You’d put an inch or two of water in the pot and then put the colander over it. The colander should be able to fit over the pot without touching the water in the base. Then cover it with a lid. It doesn’t have to be a prefect fit. Just as long as it traps most of the steam inside. Proceed the same as a regular steamer.
The pan method isn’t perfect, but it does work. Pick a saucepan that is big enough to fit all your beets in it. Put a half inch of water in the bottom and bring it to a boil. Add in your beets, put the lid on, and reduce the heat to low so it just simmers. The water will create enough steam to cook the beets, but the beets that actually touch the water might get a little soggy or overcooked.
My Other Recipes
Use a microwave safe bowl and just put a little bit of water in to cover the bottom of it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and poke a couple holes in it to allow some steam to escape. Microwave until desired done-ness is reached.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- 3 large beets peeled and cubed
- 5 ounces mixed salad greens
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place the cubed beets in a steamer basket over boiling water with the lid on. Steam the beets until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. When finished, cool in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the salad greens, dry in a spinner, and combine in a bowl. Top with cooled beets and crumbled goat cheese.
- Make the dressing by combining the orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sugar (optional) and salt in a small bowl and whisk. Drizzle over the salad just before serving.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!