Sweet Potato Soup is a creamy bowl of comfort food goodness! It’s easy to make with the savory flavors of ginger and garlic. Add cheese to give the soup more body and flavor.
What is the difference between a sweet potato and a yam?In America the terms “Sweet Potato” and “Yam” are used interchangeably and refer to that potato looking thing with the red skin and orange flesh. Yet, you have probably seen something else in the grocery store labeled sweet potato with a light yellow skin, while your orange flesh variety is labeled yams. Guess what? Both of them are sweet potatoes!
The kind of sweet potatoes you think of as yams are simply dark skinned sweet potatoes. You won’t commonly come across true yams in an American grocery store. True yams have brown or black skin and the flesh is either red, purple, or off white. Crazy, huh? You thought you’ve been eating yams all these years!
How many sweet potatoes are in 2 pounds?Sweet potatoes naturally grow in a variety of shapes and sizes. We have found that it takes about 3 larger sweet potatoes to equal 2 pounds, or 6 medium to small sweet potatoes. It’s a good idea to use the scale in your grocery store to weigh out ingredients like sweet potatoes and potatoes.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Simple Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions or chives optional
- Place a large soup pot on the stove over medium high heat. Add in olive oil and onion and saute until tender, about 7 minutes. Add in garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute more.
- Add in sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup mixture to a blender and blend in batches until smooth, or use an immersion blender.
- Return to a pot over low heat and add in the cheddar cheese. Stir until melted. Taste and add more salt if desired. Serve topped with green onions or chives.