Creamy Potato Soup is thick and creamy and cheesy and oh, so amazingly delicious. We’ve got you covered with vegetarian and lighter soup variations to customize to your own needs.
Potato soup is a classic comfort food that’s perfect for chilly evenings. You can eat it plain or add toppings for additional flavor including shredded cheese, sour cream, bacon, and chives which are all popular options. You can even choose between leaving the soup with potato chunks, or pureeing the whole thing for a smooth and creamy potato soup.
We’ve always had a high bar set for potato soup. It couldn’t just be good, it had to be amazing. So we went through trial and error and hemmed and hawed until this recipe was perfect! Behold: potato soup just as good as we remember. Elastic waist pants are highly recommend for this meal because you will not be able to stop at just one bowl.
We love how easy it is to customize this soup. Not a fan of bacon? Omit it entirely or substitute diced or cubed ham. Just start by melting the butter and adding in the onion to sauté. If using, add in the ham during the last few minutes of cooking the onions.
Looking to make a lighter version of the soup? Simply omit the flour. You can thicken your soup by using an immersion blender or a regular blender (with a venting lid) to blend enough of your soup to thicken. Leave it as chunky as you like.
Can Creamy Potato Soup be made vegetarian?
Yes! Depending on your level of vegetarianism, you could just omit the bacon and leave the rest of the recipe as is. If you also avoid the use of chicken broth, you can substitute for vegetable broth.
We prefer Yukon gold potatoes in this soup. Red potatoes will also work. We know that a lot of people buy potatoes in bulk, and that mot of the time they’re russets. If you insist on using russet potatoes, just know that your soup will be starchier and you should definitely peel your potatoes first.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 pound thick cut bacon , diced
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes , diced
- 3 ribs celery , diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced tarragon , or 1 tsp dried
- 1 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives (optional)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in diced bacon and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to remove crispy bacon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Remove excess bacon grease from skillet, leaving just 1 tablespoon of grease in the pot.
- Return pot to medium-high heat. Add in onion and saute 7 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add in butter and garlic and stir until butter is melted. Stir in flour and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and milk. Add in celery and potato and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue simmering until potatoes are soft and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once potatoes are tender, stir in sour cream and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot topped with cooked bacon, chives, and an additional dollop of sour cream.