1 lb shredded beef, cooked
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 lbs Fresh Green Beans, trimmed and snapped in half
1 cup frozen Corn Kernels
1/4 tsp oregano
4 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 tsp salt
Shredded Cheddar Cheese to top.
1. Boil the potatoes until soft, 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, steam the green beans until soft, 10-15 minutes. Add in the corn kernals during the last few minutes of cooking.
3. Also meanwhile (this is a multi-tasking dish), saute your onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add in the flour and stir until mixed enough that you can’t see the flour (this will allow the sauce to thicken without the flour clumping). Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and stir occasionally until the sauce thickens.
4. By this point the potatoes should be done. Mash them up and mix in the butter, cream cheese, and salt until everything is melted and fluffy. Use a hand mixer to easily whip it until it is fluffy.
5. Mix the green beans and corn with the oregano.
6. In 9 x 13 pan put your Pie together. Bottom: meat, Middle: vegetables, Top: Potatoes. Top with cheese.
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes., until cheese is warm and bubbly.
My Other Recipes
Oh the terminology of Shepherd’s Pie vs. Cottage Pie. There are some strong opinions out there. Let’s check out what wikipedia has to say on it.
Classic Shepherd’s Pie (Cottage Pie)
- 4 large Russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb or ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups cheddar cheese to top
- Add potatoes to a large pot of boiling water. Boil the potatoes until soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ground lamb (or ground beef) in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Add in 2 tablespoons butter and onion and saute until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in the flour and stir until well mixed. Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Add in frozen peas, carrots, corn, and oregano. Stir occasionally until the sauce thickens.
- At this point the potatoes should be done. Drain and mash using either a potato masher or hand mixer. Mix in the butter, cream cheese, and salt until everything is melted.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan. Spread meat and vegetable mixture into the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes., until cheese is warm and bubbly.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!