Chicken Pot Pie is a comfort food favorite! Mix and match whatever vegetables you’d like in this recipe to create your own custom pot pie recipe that your family will love.
This chicken pot pie has a yummy, flaky crust with hearty meat, savory gravy, and vegetables. Pot pie is a lot more simple to make than you might think. To start you’ll need two prepared pie crusts to create both a bottom and top crust. You can either make your own or use store-bought. You will also need some cooked chopped chicken. Next, you will boil some veggies, and make a simple onion and broth gravy. Then, these will all come together in a prepared pie crust which you will bake for half an hour so that all those flavors can really mix together. You are going to love this pie, it’s the best!
You can mix and match the vegetables you include in your pot pie according to your own personal taste preferences. Suggested vegetables include carrots, onion, celery, peas, green beans, lima beans, and corn.
Turkey Pot Pie:
Turkey would go great in this recipe. If it’s leftover turkey, just measure out one cup and use in place of the chicken.
Beef Pot Pie:
For beef pot pie, simply replace the chicken with cooked, chopped beef and replace the chicken broth with beef broth. Leftover pot roasts or steaks work well for this.
Can I use canned chicken?
Yes. Canned chicken works great, as does leftover chicken, or rotisserie chicken.
MAKE AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS: To make chicken pot pie ahead, cook your filling and prepare your pie shells. Store separately in the fridge until ready to assemble and bake.
FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS: Want to freeze your pot pie for cooking later? Assemble your pot pie as directed in the recipe and freeze immediately. When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cover the pot pie with aluminum foil in order to prevent the crust from burning and continue baking for 30 to 35 minutes more, until center is hot.
If you like this recipe, check out some of our other classic comfort food recipes:
- Classic Sunday Pot Roast
- Momma’s Meatloaf
- No Fuss Chili
- Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Mom’s Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 prepared pie crusts top and bottom
- 1 1/2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add carrots and celery to a medium saucepan. Fill with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 8 minutes. Add in peas and continue simmering for another 2 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute the onion in the melted butter for about 5 minutes until softened. Add in the flour and stir until well combined. Whisk in chicken broth and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the sauce along with cooked, diced chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a deep dish pie plate with the prepared bottom crust, letting it hang over the edge by 1/2-inch.
- Pour the pot pie filling onto the bottom crust. Cover with top crust and seal the edges. Using a sharp knife, slice several small slits in the top crust to allow the steam to escape while baking.
- Bake pie in a 425 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, until the top crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.