This easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is just like mom used to make! This recipe will teach you how to make chicken and dumplings that’s full of old fashioned homemade goodness.
Chicken and Dumplings is a classic American comfort food. It consists of a chicken and vegetable soup base, topped with a biscuit dough dumpling. You can find a wide variety of methods and preparations out there for chicken and dumplings, particularly when it comes to the dough for the dumpling itself.
Dumplings vary from being flat and noodle like, to being more like a drop biscuit. This will depend on your region and personal preferences. This particular recipe uses the drop biscuit type dough. It’s a simple dough with only a handful of ingredients. Buttermilk is used to interact with baking powder to form a puffy dumpling. The dough is dropped into the simmering liquid in various sizes for a rustic, homestyle look.
How do you make chicken and dumplings from scratch?
For a true from scratch chicken and dumplings recipe, you’ll want to use a whole chicken that you have butchered up into individual pieces (IE breasts, wings, thighs, drumsticks). Sear those in some olive oil at the beginning of the recipe. Once seared, remove them from the pan and continue with the recipe. Because you seared the chicken and have the whole chicken in there, you can use water instead of chicken broth, as the chicken itself will create it’s own chicken broth. You will need to simmer your broth for much longer, 45 minutes to 1 hour, in order to make sure you chicken is cooked through.
The disadvantage of using a whole chicken is that the skin and bones will need to be discarded. This, along with the searing, adds additional work and cooking time.
How do you thicken up chicken and dumplings?
If you want to thicken the soup base on your chicken and dumplings, you’ll need to do it BEFORE you add in your dumplings. Take about 1/3 cup of the liquids and place it into a bowl. Whisk 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into this liquid. Once the mixture is smooth, pour it back into the soup pot and stir in. Then, you are ready for dumplings. The soup base will thicken as the dumplings cook.
Other classic soup recipes you might like:
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Slow Cooker Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual and I’ve got you covered with my very own cooking show. You can browse my full collection of cooking show videos on YouTube or right here on my website with their corresponding recipes.
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat a large dutch oven pot over medium high heat. Add in olive oil and heat through, 1 minute. Add in celery, carrots, and onion and saute 5 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent. STir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add in chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and boil 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and easily shreds with a fork. Shred chicken directly in pot, or remove to a cutting board, shred, and return to soup.
- Make the dumplings by whisking together flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Slowly pour in buttermilk and stir to combine. Drop by the spoonful directly into the soup. Cover and let simmer 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!