This tomato tortellini soup is and made from scratch with ingredients you already have in your pantry. It’s delicious and packed with tomatoes and cheese.
Hi guys, it’s Abeer here again from CakeWhiz.com, sharing a recipe for this delicious and creamy tomato tortellini soup.
As the weather starts cooling down, I suddenly start craving soup. There is something so comforting about enjoying a bowl of soup for dinner at the end of a long cold day. Creamy soups are one of my favorites…They are rich and cheesy and so filling.
Seriously, this tomato tortellini soup is the easiest soup you will ever make! It comes together in 30 minutes. You only need one pot and simple ingredients. There is minimal mess in your kitchen (Thank goodness!). It’s fresh and packed with tomato and cheesy goodness. Plus, that gorgeous color is to die for!
Here are some important notes about this soup:
- You can use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs. I just always have dried herbs in my pantry. So, it’s easier.
- Adjust the quantities of herbs, based on your taste preference.
- Instead of chicken broth, vegetable broth can be used.
- My husband always remarks that there is a lot of tortellini in this soup but I don’t agree …lol. You can use half the amount if you like.
- This soup will thicken the longer it sits and you will have to thin out leftovers with some additional water.
- My mom likes to add some spinach in this soup towards the end. I, personally, can’t stand spinach and omit it obviously…hahah.
- Be sure to use unsalted broth or else the soup can become very salty.
- You can serve this with some garlic bread or a simple salad or just enjoy it as is.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
By the way, if you are fond of easy comforting dinner ideas, check out two of my favorites:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion (Finely chopped)
- 1½ tbsp ginger (Finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp garlic (Finely chopped)
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes can
- 15 ounce tomato sauce can
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth (unsalted)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 20 ounces three cheese tortellini
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil for garnish- (Finely chopped)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Saute onions, ginger and garlic until golden brown and fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried oregano, rosemary, basil, salt, pepper, chicken broth, heavy cream and mix everything together.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Then, add tortellini in the soup and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the tortellinis are soft and cooked through.
- Add parmesan cheese and mix everything together.
- Garnish with fresh basil and additional parmesan cheese if you like. Enjoy.