This tomato tortellini soup is and made from scratch with ingredients you already have in your pantry. It’s delicious and packed with tomatoes and cheese.
As the weather starts cooling down, we suddenly start craving soup. There is something so comforting about enjoying a bowl of soup for dinner at the end of a long, cold day. Creamy soups are some of my favorites…They are rich and cheesy and so filling.
Seriously, this tomato tortellini soup is the easiest soup you could possibly make! It comes together in 30 minutes, you only need one pot and simple ingredients, and there is minimal mess in your kitchen (Thank goodness!). It’s made with whole, fresh ingredients and packed with tomato and cheesy goodness. Plus, that gorgeous color is to die for!
Fresh vs. Dried Herbs:We love fresh herbs, but don’t always have them on hand. If you want to substitute the dried herbs for fresh, you have our blessing. If you don’t want to worry about keeping herbs alive until you cook, go ahead with dried.
How do I make tomato tortellini soup vegetarian?If you want a completely vegetarian soup, swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
Variations:This soup is really easy to alter to suite your personal taste preferences. If you don’t want this soup to be SO tortellini heavy (we love tortellini), you can half the amount. If you like spinach in this type of soup, go ahead and add it in at the end and let it cook until it wilts. If you like veggies like carrots and celery, add those in too!
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other comforting dinner recipes:
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Recipe (One Pot)
- Meatball Parmesan Bake
- Roasted Poblano White Cheddar Soup
- 30 Minute Taco Soup
Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion Finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic Finely chopped
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes can
- 15 ounce tomato sauce can
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth unsalted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 20 ounces three cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh basil for garnish- Finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Saute onions, ginger and garlic until golden brown and fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried oregano, rosemary, basil, salt, pepper, chicken broth, heavy cream and mix everything together.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Then, add tortellini in the soup and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the tortellinis are soft and cooked through.
- Add parmesan cheese and mix everything together.
- Garnish with fresh basil and additional parmesan cheese if you like. Enjoy.