This moist pumpkin crumb cake is a soft, seasonally flavored pumpkin cake infused with the best flavors of fall (think pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and real pumpkin) and topped off with a buttery cinnamon crumble topping!
Hello again! Sam here from Sugar Spun Run with a seasonal pumpkin recipe for you today: Pumpkin Crumb Cake.
I know it’s not quite Fall just yet, but I have been dying to break out the pumpkin recipes for weeks now, and even if you’re not ready to jump seasons just yet I think you’re going to want to hang on to this recipe for when the leaves begin to turn. It’s the perfect Fall recipe — packed full of real pumpkin, flavored with the best spices of Fall, and topped off with a crumbly cinnamon spiced streusel topping.
Drizzle everything with a simple white glaze and you have an unforgettable recipe that’s sure to be a hit at every party and potluck this time of year.
Thanks to the pumpkin in this recipe (as well as a few spoonfuls of sour cream), this pumpkin crumb cake is extremely soft and moist. It’s also made with real, melted butter rather than oil for a rich, flavorful taste.
The crumbly streusel topping that I use on top is the same one that I use on my favorite coffee cake recipe (sometimes I even use it on top of my chocolate chip muffins, too — it’s so good!). It’s nice and slightly crisp and sugary against the soft pumpkin cake and serves as the perfect complement.
While the glaze for this recipe is totally optional, it’s so easy to make (just two ingredients!) that I don’t know why you would skip it. Plus, it makes your pumpkin crumb cake look even better, too!
- ¾ cup butter, melted (allow it to cool several minutes after melting, you do not want it to be too hot or it will melt your sugars)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten (room temperature preferred)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper or lightly greased aluminum foil.
- Combine melted butter and sugars in a large bowl and stir until well-combined
- Add eggs, stir well
- Stir in pumpkin puree and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add sour cream and stir until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure that all ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a spatula, gradually add dry ingredients and wet and stir until just combined -- do not over-mix!
- Spread batter evenly into prepared 9x9 pan.
- Prepare the crumble by whisking together flour, sugars and cinnamon.
- Pour the melted butter into the mixture and, using a fork, stir until crumbles form.
- Evenly sprinkle streusel topping over the top of your pumpkin batter.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake on 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before adding glaze.
- If desired, make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and milk. Start with 2 teaspoons of milk and add a third if it isn't thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle over cooled pumpkin crumb cake.
- Cut and serve. Enjoy!