Old fashioned cobbler, made from scratch, is easier to make than you might think. 10 minutes of prep and you’ll have the best cobbler of your life!
I used to think that I didn’t like cobbler. Turns out I just don’t like cobbler made with cake mixes. Old fashioned cobbler made from scratch? It’s amazing! Every time I make it I can’t help but think, “Dang! I make the best cobbler!” It’s really easy to make too. For the topping, you can choose to be truly old fashioned and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter in, or you can add a little modern convenience to this recipe and pulse it together in a food processor. I won’t judge you either way, but let me tell you, the food processor is so much easier. You can cut down the prep time to 5 minutes that way. You can use this same recipe with any fruit really. Just substitute in 3 pounds of the fresh fruit of your choice. Just make sure it’s prepared first (peeled, sliced, pitted, whatever it needs).
Seriously, it’s so easy to make! Don’t believe me? Watch the video below where I walk you through every step on my very own cooking show. Check out my channel on YouTube and be sure to subscribe!
How to Make Old Fashioned Homemade Cobbler
How to Make Old Fashioned Berry Cobbler
- 3 pounds fresh berries cleaned and sliced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter diced
- 1 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss berries with lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, vanilla, and white sugar. Spread them out in the 9×13 pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until it resembles a course meal, or pulse the whole thing together in a food processor.
- Pour in half and half and stir to form a thick batter.
- Scoop the batter in large clumps on top of the berries to form a nice cobbler crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!