This Old Fashioned Blackberry Cobbler has the perfect sweet biscuit crust on top. People go crazy after this old fashioned, from scratch recipe and you will too!
Does cobbler have a bottom crust?
This is actually a hotly debated topic in some crowds, but by definition, no, cobblers do not have a bottom crust. Cobblers have a fruit bottom and are generally topped with a sweet biscuit dough, but can also have a more cake like consistency as well. Some people still swear by having a bottom crust on their cobbler, but it is not a traditional preparation.
My Other Recipes
What’s the difference between a cobbler and a crisp?
A cobbler is topped with a batter while a crisp is topped with a crumbly mixture usually consisting of flour, cereal (like oatmeal), butter, sugar, and sometimes nuts.
Can I use frozen blackberries to make blackberry cobbler?
Yes, you can, but the end result may a bit runnier since the berries end up having extra moisture once thawed. To compensate for this, double the amount of cornstarch in the recipe.
Can I halve this recipe?
Yes you can! This recipe, as written, makes an entire 9×13 pan which might be a bit much for some people. You can directly halve all of the ingredients in this recipe and make a 9×9 pan instead.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other fantastic berry recipes:
- Blueberry Lemonade
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Pie
- Perfect Blueberry Pie
- The Most Amazing Strawberry Shortcake
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Old Fashioned Blackberry Cobbler
- 3 pounds fresh blackberries cleaned
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter diced
- 1 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss berries with lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, vanilla, and white sugar. Spread them out in the 9×13 pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until it resembles a course meal, or pulse the whole thing together in a food processor.
- Pour in half and half and stir to form a thick batter.
- Scoop the batter in large clumps on top of the berries to form a nice cobbler crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!