These savory and delicious Garlic Butter Roasted Brussels Sprouts are seasoned to absolute perfection—a perfect side dish for any occasion!
Brussels sprouts are healthy and delicious. They are part of the cruciferous family of vegetables, which also includes cauliflower, cabbage, kale, garden cress, bok choy, and broccoli. Roasting Brussels sprouts is a delicious way to enjoy them and draw out their natural flavor just perfectly. The seasonings and butter complement the slightly acerbic edge that Brussels sprouts have, and round them out with a smooth and savory finish.
You will start this recipe by cutting the Brussels sprouts in half and placing them in a large mixing bowl. If some of the leaves fall off, that is fine, just toss them in the bowl with the halved Brussels sprouts. Next, you will use a whole bulb of garlic. Smash it down a little so you can loosen the skins. You will cut the ends off the garlic and peel the skins off. Cut each garlic clove into fourths. It is important to keep the garlic from getting crushed, as it will burn if that happens. Add all of these cloves to the sprouts in the bowl. Toss those with some butter, olive oil, salt and pepper, and you’ll be ready to roast!
Why do I need olive oil in addition to butter?
Olive oil handles heat in a different way than butter. Butter is rich and creamy, but olive oil has a wonderful flavor and also helps to crisp up the leaves of the sprouts. Using both in this recipe combines the best of both worlds to produce deliciously perfect roasted brussel sprouts.
How do I choose the best brussels sprouts?
Brussels sprouts should be fresh and on the small side. The smaller they are, the sweeter they will be and the better they will roast up. Try to choose ones that have minimal browned and wilted leaves.
Why is the garlic whole and not minced?
The garlic in this recipe would burn at this temperature if it were crushed or minced. By roasting it whole with the butter, at the high temperature, the flavor is brought out and blended with the Brussels sprouts perfectly.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these other delicious roasted vegetable delights:
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- The Best Roasted Broccoli Ever
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- The Best Roasted Cauliflower
- Perfect Roasted Asparagus
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Garlic Butter Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 2 pounds brussel sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves whole garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Trim and halve brussel sprouts and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Roughly cut the garlic cloves into 4 to 5 pieces each and add to mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with melted butter and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Spread the brussel sprouts out in a single layer on a 4-sided baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until sprouts are tender, about 20-25 minutes until brussel sprouts are tender.
- During the last 5 minutes of roasting, sprinkle on Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!