Easy Chinese Pepper Steak will quickly become a family stir-fry favorite. This quick take-out fake-out dinner is ready in just 15 minutes!
This American rendition of the classic Chinese Pepper Steak is super tasty and comes together in just 15 minutes. It’s a simple stir-fry style dish of onions, peppers, and steak cooked in a wok with a yummy garlic ginger sauce. Cooking with a wok is fun and allows you to cook faster, at high heats. This dish is a life saver on a busy night and a crown pleaser all the while!
Can I use coconut oil in a stir fry?
Yes, but keep in mind that unrefined coconut oil smokes at high temperatures. Vegetable oil and refined coconut oil have a higher smoke point. It is still okay to cook with unrefined coconut oil, just expect some smoke with recipes like this one where the food is cooked on a higher heat.
Can I use a different cut of meat?
Yes. A flank steak or skirt steak also works well with this recipe. Be sure to cut your meat against the grain as doing so will ensure that the meat is more tender.
What can I use instead of a wok?
You can definitely make this dish in a frying pan. Woks are a great tool in the kitchen for stir fry style dishes and for cooking mixed vegetables. If you don’t have one, don’t skip the meal, but consider trying a wok some time—you will probably love it!
PRO TIP: Woks need to be seasoned just like a cast iron pan needs seasoning. It should come with a set of instructions on how to do so. It should go something like first, boil water in the wok. Rinse it off and coat it in oil then heat it up. Repeat the oil and heat several times. You also don’t wash it with soap. Let salt and heat do all the germ killing.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these other quick and easy takeout style recipes:
- Thai Green Curry Stir Fry
- Spicy Szechuan Shrimp and Broccoli
- 15 Minute Mongolian Beef
- Easy Kung Pao Chicken
- Chinese Takeout Orange Chicken
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Easy Chinese Pepper Steak
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 large green bell peppers cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions optional
- Slice beef into 1/4 inch strips. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Add in beef broth, sugar, black pepper, ginger, and garlic. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. Add in beef and toss until seared, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add in another 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add in peppers and onions. Cook in the wok until tender crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Add meat back into the wok. Add in ginger garlic sauce. Stir and cook about 1 minute.
- Garnish with sliced green onions (optional) and serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!