These sweet, buttermilk cornbread muffins are super easy to make and super tasty too. It doesn’t get any easier than this!
There is a man in The Stay At Home Chef house who loves cornbread, and who are we to deny him? These easy buttermilk cornbread muffins are super simple to whip up. Since they are muffin style, they are also super easy to serve! A dozen of these babies are easily devoured in our house. While you technically can use this same recipe to bake it in a 9×13 pan, we love the muffin style and know you will too.
Now, this recipe isn’t true southern cornbread because it has sugar in it. But no worries, we are west coast born and raised, and this is how we do it ’round here. We are all about the sugar in our cornbread on the west coast. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love that good southern corn bread, but these west coast corn bread muffins are our definitely our favorite!
To Add Sugar or Not To Add Sugar:
There has been an ongoing debate over Southern vs. West Coast cornbread, which can essentially be defined as whether or not to add sugar. We know, there are other slight differences, but sugar is really what this fight is all about. You can leave it out if you’d like.
Can I make Easy Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins in a 9×13?
Yes, you totally can. We love this recipe in muffin form, but if you prefer regular cornbread you can easily make this recipe in a 9×13. Simply double the entire recipe. Keep an eye on the time though, because this will take slightly longer to bake. Continue to bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
What goes well with cornbread muffins?
We have found it a must to make cornbread whenever we eat chili. However, you don’t have to make any special meal to deserve cornbread. Treat yourself! Make these anytime! So long as you have honey butter to go with it, they are always a treat!
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious bread side dish recipes:
- The Best Homemade Dinner Rolls Ever
- Flaky Old Fashioned Biscuits
- Homemade Naan
- Rustic Garlic Parmesan Herb Bread
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Easy Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line it with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the melted butter with the sugar. Beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Add in the baking soda and then slowly pour in the buttermilk while you stir.
- Add in the cornmeal, flour, and salt and stir until well combined. Pour batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in the 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until the tops start to brown.
Orange Honey Butter
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of half an orange
- juice of half an orange
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip the ingredients until well combined.