This Coconut Cake Recipe is made from scratch and full of bold coconut flavor and topped off with a coconut cream cheese frosting. This is the kind of cake that will wow everyone in the room!
Looking for the perfect coconut cake that doesn’t skimp on coconut flavor? Look no further. This is the absolute perfect coconut cake. It uses a combination of coconut milk, coconut extract, and coconut flakes to give you as much coconut flavor as possible.
Can this recipe make coconut cupcakes?
Yes it can! This recipe will make about 24 cupcakes. They will need to be baked at 350 degrees for approximately 15 to 18 minutes. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3rds of the way full.
Can I make this coconut cake recipe into only two layers?
Yes you can! No adjustments will need to be made to the recipe except for the baking time of the cakes. As written, the recipe makes 3 thin layers. No adjustments are required to the ingredients to make a two layer cake. Simply add approximately 5 minutes to the baking time.
Cake Flour Substitute
It’s easy to make your own cake flour! Measure out 1 cup of flour. Remove 2 tablespoons from the cup. Replace with cornstarch. Sift together. You now have 1 cup of cake flour!
Check out my other amazing cake recipes:
- The Most Amazing Vanilla Cake
- The Most Amazing White Cake
- The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake
- The Most Amazing Red Velvet Cake
- Funfetti Birthday Cake
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Homemade Coconut Cake
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 6 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3½ cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups coconut flakes
- Grease three 9-inch pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the butter, oil, and sugar together until smooth. Beat in coconut extract and egg whites 2 minutes until fluffy. Beat in coconut milk and sour cream until just combined.
- Mix in cake flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the three prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit in pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before layering and frosting.
- Make the frosting by using a hand mixer to beat cream cheese and butter together for 1 minute until light and fluffy. Add in coconut extract and mix until combined, about 10 seconds.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, one half cup at a time until smooth, mixing between additions.
- Frost and layer cake with frosting and use coconut flakes to coat.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!