Classic Baked Apples are the perfect dessert for Fall. They are easy to make and are perfect for topping off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Fall is almost here and with Fall, comes harvest, holidays and our favorite baked treats! Apples seem to symbolize this special time of year, from the old tradition of taking one to your teacher, to bobbing for apples at the state fair, to all the baked goods that utilize these little treasures. This simple and easy recipe gives you an excuse to buy up those yummy Fall time apples that are on sale.
These Classic Baked Apples are filled with a sweet, cinnamon stuffing and then steamed to perfection in the oven. A perfect dessert and fun for any kind of party, these are sure to impress and bring a little cheer to combat the back-to-school blues. Remember, an apple a day keeps the doctor away! With this recipe, there is simply no reason to not take that old adage for all it’s worth! Bon Appletit!
Can I use walnuts in this recipe?
Yes. Chopped walnuts or almonds would work as a substitute for the pecans in this recipe
How should I serve baked apples?
Baked apples can be served plain, or they are frequently topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. ? Try drizzling them with Caramel syrup or you can even garnish them with a little whipped cream and cinnamon.
What are the best variety of apples for baking?
There are hundreds of varieties of apples so it can be hard to know which to purchase. There are a number of commonly sold apples that are great for baking. Green apples like Granny Smith provide a nice tart flavor and are great for baking. Other yellow and red varieties that are good for baking include Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Braeburn, Jonathan, Fuji, and Pink Lady. Check the apple for freshness, it should be nice and hard. If the apple is squishy, is bruised, or discolored, you will want to discard them.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these other delicious Fall apple favorites:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Classic Baked Apples
- 6 apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Starting from the apple stem, use a paring knife to remove cores from each apple, leaving the bottom of the apple intact to create a hollow bowl-like interior. Place each prepared apple into a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. Spoon into the center of each apple to fill to top.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of butter on top of each apple center. Pour water into the bottom of the baking dish so that the apples sit in the water and steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until apples are soft. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.