The Best Ever Apple Crisp has a juicy caramel filling and topped with the perfect blend of sugary crumble on top. Eat it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an amazing dessert!
How can you tell if an apple is good?
There are four things you can do when you are in the store to see if the apples you are buying is good and fresh. The first thing is the most obvious one and is to look for any visible bruises, wormholes, cuts, and brown spots. Second, make sure the color of the apple is right, i.e. if you are buying a red delicious apple make sure it is that characteristic deep red, or if you are buying a granny smith apple that it is that perfect green. Third, give the apple a quick sniff to make sure it is not rancid or has any foul odors. Lastly, gently check the apple firmness to make sure it has no squishy spots.
Can you reheat apple crisp?
Warm apple crisp is the best! To reheat apple crisp put some on a plate and pop it in the microwave and warm it up in 30-second increments until it is warmed up to your liking. BUT! please be careful as the sauce can get hot and cause burns if you heat it up too much.
What are the best apples to use in baking?
There are hundreds of varieties of apples so it can be hard to know which to purchase. There are a number of commonly sold apples that are great for baking. Green apples like Granny Smith provide a nice tart flavor and are great for baking. Other yellow and red varieties that are good for baking include Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Braeburn, Jonathan, Fuji, and Pink Lady. Check the apple for freshness, it should be nice and hard. If the apple is squishy, is bruised, or discolored, you will want to discard them.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Best Ever Apple Crisp
- 3 pounds granny smith apples peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup softened salted butter
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Vanilla Ice Cream and Caramel Topping for Serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9x9 pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together apples, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and caramel topping until well combined. Transfer to prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- In another mixing bowl make the crisp topping. Use a fork to stir together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Use the fork to mash in the butter until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in rolled oats.
- Spread crisp topping out into an even layer over the apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until apples are tender and crisp is lightly browned.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!