The Best Ever Apple Crisp has a juicy caramel filling and topped with the perfect blend of sugary crumble on top. Eat it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an amazing dessert!
Warm, homemade apple crisp feels like coming home. We have so many fond memories over the years of eating apple crisp at holidays, family parties, birthdays, and really most large gatherings. Was it the warm, gooey apples? The cinnamon-sugary crisp topping? The guarantee of vanilla ice cream to go on the side? Yes, yes, and definitely yes. It is always a crowd pleaser, and you should definitely whip one up for your next gathering!
How can you tell if an apple is good?
There are four things you can do when you are in the store to see if the apples you are buying is good and fresh:
- Look for any visible bruises, wormholes, cuts, and brown spots.
- Make sure the color is appropriate to the variety of apple you’re inspecting
- Give it a smell test to make sure it’s not rancid or has any foul odors
- Check the firmness to make sure there aren’t any squishy spots.
Can you reheat Best Ever Apple Crisp?
Warm apple crisp is the best! To reheat apple crisp put some on a plate and pop it in the microwave and warm it up in 30-second increments until it is warmed up to your liking. BUT! please be careful as the sauce can get hot and cause burns if you heat it up too much.
What are the best apples to use in baking?
There are hundreds of varieties of apples so it can be hard to know which to purchase. There are a number of commonly sold apples that are great for baking. Green apples like Granny Smith provide a nice tart flavor and are great for baking. Other yellow and red varieties that are good for baking include Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Braeburn, Jonathan, Fuji, and Pink Lady. Check the apple for freshness, it should be nice and hard. If the apple is squishy, is bruised, or discolored, you will want to discard them.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious dessert recipes:
- Cinnamon Roll Swirl Coffee Cake
- Peach Dump Cake
- Gooey Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Best Ever Apple Crisp
- 3 pounds granny smith apples peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup softened salted butter
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Vanilla Ice Cream and Caramel Topping for Serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9×9 pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together apples, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and caramel topping until well combined. Transfer to prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- In another mixing bowl make the crisp topping. Use a fork to stir together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Use the fork to mash in the butter until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in rolled oats.
- Spread crisp topping out into an even layer over the apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until apples are tender and crisp is lightly browned.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping.