Gooey Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread starts with dinner roll dough, tossed in cinnamon and sugar, and topped with a decadent caramel pecan sauce. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried this recipe!
This recipe is so easy! It starts with homemade dinner roll dough, simply altered to make a monkey bread delight! Whether you prefer to mix by hand or in a stand mixer, this will come together so quickly and be the best monkey bread you’ve ever tasted!
We love that there is so much room for error in this recipe! That allows it to be completely kid friendly! Rolling the dough into balls is fun for everyone, and it doesn’t even matter if the dough balls are the same size, or even completely round! Get the whole family involved in this yummy recipe! Everyone will especially love pulling the pieces apart to devour!
Can I use bread flour?
Yes! You can replace the All Purpose Flour with Bread Flour at a 1:1 ratio.
How do I know if the dough has risen enough?
To ensure your dough has risen enough, just perform a poke test: lightly press two fingertips about one-half inch into the dough. The dough is ready if an indention remains when you remove your fingertips.
In a hurry and don’t have time to make your own dough? Many grocery stores sell pre-made bread dough. You can also use frozen roll dough, or bread dough from a can, including canned bicuit dough. Note that biscuit dough will change the texture of the bread. You’ll need about 30 ounces (1.875 pounds) of dough for this recipe.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious dessert recipes:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Salted Caramel Shortbread Bars
- Luscious Lemon Bars
- Baked Vanilla Cake Donuts with Chocolate Glaze and Sprinkles
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes onYouTube, Facebook Watch, or ourFacebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Gooey Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread (From Scratch)
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk, yeast, sugar, salt, butter, and eggs. Add in 2 1/2 cups of flour. Using a dough hook, turn the mixer on to a low speed. Once the flour starts to incorporate into the dough, increase the speed to a medium range. Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough mixture should be slightly sticky and soft. Add more or less flour until the dough reaches the desired consistency. The amount of flour you add in bread making is always an approximation and you should go by feel.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise 90 minutes, until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9-inch bundt pan.
- Pinch off tablespoon-sized pieces of dough and roll into a ball. Roll in cinnamon sugar mixture to coat and place into the prepared bundt pan, stacking them up in layers as you go until you’ve used up all of your dough.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Pour caramel sauce over dough balls in bundt pan to coat.
- Bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then invert pan onto a large plate or serving platter. Serve warm, or let cool and serve when completely cooled.