Celebrate the holidays in style with this incredible Christmas Gingerbread Cake. Three layers of moist gingerbread are covered with a cream cheese frosting for an amazing Christmas dessert that will impress everyone!
Do you love gingerbread? We sure do! This gingerbread cake has the most amazing gingerbread flavor. The combination of ginger, cinnamon, and cloves will leave you salivating! It’s all topped off with a cream cheese frosting to make the ultimate Christmas cake. This stuff is what Christmas dreams are made of!
The batter for this cake calls for buttermilk. The acid in the buttermilk will react with the baking soda and baking powder to help this cake rise, creating a fluffy crumb. If you don’t have buttermilk, be sure to read our Buttermilk Substitutes post to pick something that works for you. Please don’t just use milk or water. It will impact the results of the cake.
Would you prefer gingerbread cupcakes to a gingerbread cake? No worries, this recipe works for cupcakes too! They are baked at 325 degrees for 20-22 minutes and this recipe makes about 36 cupcakes.
Can I make gingerbread cake into only two layers?
Is a 3 layer cake too much for you? We get a lot of requests for instructions on how to make a smaller version of the same cake. Simply divide the recipe by 2/3rds for a two layer cake or use the scaling feature on our recipe card below.
This cake will need to be stored in the refrigerator due to the cream cheese frosting. If you don’t have refrigerator space or don’t like cream cheese frosting, you can always use a regular buttercream. However, we strongly prefer the flavor of the cream cheese frosting when it comes to pairing with gingerbread. It provides the perfect balance!
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Christmas Gingerbread Cake
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 8 ounce blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease three 9-inch round pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, molasses, warm water, buttermilk, and eggs. Whisk in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add in flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared baking pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 to 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, make your frosting by beating butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract until just combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- Layer the cake together, frosting between layers as well as the top and outside of the cake.