What is New York cheesecake?
New York cheesecake is a type of cheesecake and possibly the most famous kind. Its main ingredients are cream cheese and eggs which gives it a deliciously smooth and rich taste. Typically a New York cheesecake will be cooked in a springform pan.
What is a springform pan and where do I buy one?
To make a New York Cheesecake, you are going to need a special kind of pan called a springform pan. This is a cake pan that has a removable bottom. The sides of the pan are sprung and it has a clip to adjust the sides. Springform pans are sold in various sizes, generally 4 inches, 6 to 7 inches, and 9 inches. A good standard size to have is a 9-inch pan. You can purchase them usually anywhere kitchen goods are sold, or purchase one from Amazon. They will be located near the other cake pans.
Should I use vanilla extract or a vanilla bean?
Vanilla beans produce the best flavor when it comes to making cheesecake. Vanilla beans are easy to work with. Simply slice in half lengthwise, and use the edge of your knife to scrape out all of the insides directly into your cake batter. While flavorful, vanilla beans can also be tremendously expensive. Vanilla extract is always a great option.
What kind of toppings can I use on my cheesecake?
The flavor toppings for cheesecake are nearly endless! Chocolate sauce or caramel sauce like you’d use on ice cream work just fine. You can also use pie fillings for easy fruit toppings like raspberry, strawberry, apple, blueberry, and more. Or, you can make your own toppings.
Why did my cheesecake split and crack?
Upset that your cheesecake split or cracked? The first thing you should know is that a split and crack should have no effect on the taste of the cheesecake. It’s perfectly okay to eat a cracked cheesecake. To get that picture perfect New York Cheesecake, here are two great tips: 1. Do NOT open your oven door while it is cooking! If there is a sudden temperature change your cheesecake will crack. Cheesecakes need to be cooled slowly so it’s best to leave it in the oven with the door closed and let it cool down with the oven itself. 2. Another big cause of cheesecake cracking is that it is overcooked, so make sure to follow the recipe so your cheesecake ends up perfect.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other classic cake recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Perfect New York Cheesecake
- 16 graham crackers
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 8oz packages cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 6-inch vanilla bean OR 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with butter or shortening.
- Crush the graham crackers in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in melted butter until the crumbs are all moistened and press into the bottom of the prepared springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer (or stand mixer) to whip together the cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and sour cream, and beat on low until incorporated.
- Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape the seeds into the mixture, or add in vanilla extract. Add in flour and mix until incorporated and smooth. Pour mixture into the springform pan.
- Crumple up 3 sheets of aluminum foil into flat discs and place on a baking sheet. Place the springform pan on top of these discs to elevate the cake so it doesn't touch your baking sheet. Fill the baking sheet with a layer of ice, surrounding the springform pan.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 1 hour. Do not open the door. At the end of the hour, turn off the oven, keeping the door closed. Let the cheesecake slowly cool in the oven for 5 to 6 hours to prevent cracking. Remove and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove the springform pan ring before serving. Keep cold.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!