Enjoy sizzling chicken fajitas, made in one skillet in just 30 minutes! Fajitas are always an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
Chicken Fajitas are a delicious and easy dinner the whole family will love and they are ready in about 30 minutes. This classic fajita recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked whole and sliced, as well sliced onion and bell peppers. You can use any color or combination of colors of bell peppers.
In this recipe we have you make your own quick fajita spice blend for complete control of the flavor. You can easily adjust the heat level of the spice mix by reducing or eliminating the red pepper flakes.
Can I use a packet of fajita seasoning instead of the spices in this recipe?
Fajita seasoning packets are pre-mixed spices which can be convenient and be used in place of the spices in this recipe. Quality and ratios of these spices will vary amongst the different brands available. For best quality, we do recommend following the recipe as written so you can control the exact ingredients and proportions.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of the chicken breasts in this recipe. Chicken thighs take longer to cook so you’ll need to increase the cooking time. Actual cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of your chicken thighs. We do not recommend using skin-on chicken when making fajitas.
What should I serve with my fajitas?
Fajitas are traditionally served on small flour tortillas. Sour cream, fresh cilantro, avocados, salsa, or guacamole are great toppers for fajitas. Fajitas are a complete meal all by themselves, but for additional side dishes try Mexican Rice or Mexican Street Corn Salad.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Sizzling Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 3 large bell peppers , sliced (multiple colors preferred)
- 1 medium red onion , sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 12 small flour tortillas , for serving
- In a small bowl, stir together cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Season both sides chicken breasts with half of the seasoning mixture, reserving the other half for later.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the chicken in the skillet for 5 to 7 minutes per side, until chicken is fully cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and set aside to rest.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, let heat for a minute, and then add in your sliced bell peppers and onion. Saute until the vegetables are tender crisp, 5 to 7 minutes
- During the last two minutes of cooking add in the remaining half of your seasoning mix and the minced garlic. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slice the chicken breasts into long strips and return them to the skillet with the vegetables.
- Drizzle with lime juice and toss together. Serve on a warm tortilla. Serve plain or top with sour cream, cilantro, guacamole, or salsa.