Caramelized Cinnamon Hot Chocolate is an easy to make, super indulgent, and amazingly delicious dessert. It’s a sure cure for the winter blues! And who doesn’t love a good homemade hot chocolate?
I’ve shown you how to make the most decadent Italian style homemade hot chocolate in the past and today I’m taking it even further with a caramelized cinnamon hot chocolate that will absolutely blow you away! This is super indulgent, and truly amazingly delicious.
This homemade hot chocolate recipe all starts with a cinnamon infused homemade caramel. Homemade caramel can be a bit intimidating, but have no fear I’ve got you covered so read and watch on.
How to Make Caramel
Caramel is simply sugar that has been melted and heated to the point where the molecules break down and form a new, semi-solid compound. It’s science at its tastiest!
Place sugar in a pan over a medium or medium low heat. It’s important to stir constantly as the sugar is heated so that it does not burn. The sugar will clump together at first and slowly turn into a liquid. As heat continues to be applied, the liquid will turn to a golden brown color that is often referred to as a caramel color. At this point you have a liquid caramel. As the caramel reaches various specific temperature points it will reach various stages of solidity from a liquid syrup (110 °C /230 °F), to soft ball (113°C /235°F), firm ball like a chewy caramel candy(113°C /235°F), to a hard crack stage (146°C /295°F).
In this recipe the caramel is infused with cinnamon by caramelizing the sugar with two cinnamon sticks in it. The sugar will take on the cinnamon flavor as it caramelizes. Pretty cool, huh?
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. If you’ve never made a caramel before, having visual reference point will make this recipe incredibly easy to make. Just follow along and patiently stir. You’ll be rewarded with an amazing treat!
Caramelized Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 4½ cups whole milk
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Pour sugar into the bottom of a saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Add in the cinnamon sticks. Use a rubber spatula to stir the sugar constantly until it melts and turns a nice caramel color, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and discard. Pour in ½ cup of the whole milk. The caramel will seize a little bit, but continue stirring. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly. As the milk heats up over medium heat, the caramel will begin to dissolve.
- Once the caramel has dissolved and the milk has heated up, stir in the bittersweet chocolate until melted.
- Pour the liquid into a blender. Be sure it is vented out the top so that pressure does not build up and blend for 60 seconds until smooth. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!