Bacon, Basil (in place of lettuce), and Tomato form this BLT Deviled Egg. This appetizer may be simple, but it packs a punch. The secret is the candied bacon.
I first brought these babies to a little Easter party with friends a few years ago. I wasn’t sure how people would respond to deviled eggs. Are they out of fashion? I wasn’t prepared for the response. They were gobbled up and everyone was raving about them! Candied bacon, tomato, and basil in lieu of lettuce….it’s a BLT! One friend even said they were the best deviled eggs she’d ever had. Now, you can totally use regular old cooked bacon in this recipe instead of the candied bacon, but let’s face it, if bacon makes everything better then candied makes everything even more better. Yes, that’s right, I totally just said more better.
Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
I have a complete tutorial on making hard boiled eggs. For the easiest to peel eggs, try steaming them in a steamer basket. Set up a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water. Place your eggs in the basket, cover with a lid, and steam for about 12 minutes. Plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking process and cool. Steamed eggs are the easiest to peel.
Do I have to use candied bacon?
This recipe will work with plain cooked bacon, but it’s candied bacon that puts its over the top. You can purchase candied bacon in some grocery stores, but it’s not particularly common. Luckily, I do have a recipe for making your own. It’s very simply to make and only requires a few extra ingredients when cooking up your bacon.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in some of our other delicious egg recipes that use hard boiled eggs:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
BLT Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen hard-boiled eggs peeled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 4 strips candied bacon diced small
- 2 handfuls small cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 handful basil leaves chopped
- Chili powder to dust
- Slice each egg in half lengthwise and remove the yolk. Put all the yolks in a small mixing bowl and all the whites on a platter.
- Add mayo and honey mustard to the yolks and mix until well combined and sort of fluffy.
- Fold in the diced bacon, tomatoes, and basil (reserving a little of the basil for a garnish)
- Spoon filling into the centers of the whites. Garnish with basil and dust with chili powder.