Beef and Broccoli is a classic Chinese takeout meal, marinated in the most amazing sauce to produce the most tender, juicy, and flavorful beef and broccoli. Serve it up over a bed of rice for a truly delicious meal!
Does anyone else have specific foods that take you back in time? For us, takeout beef and broccoli takes us back to our college days. Of course, at the time we would just get it at Panda Express. We hadn’t yet discovered just how easy it was to make at home, and we probably wouldn’t have believed anyone who tried to tell us differently. Luckily, we are older and wiser and have come to discover that homemade is SO much better than takeout. There’s nothing better than sharing the love of amazing food, so we are thrilled to bring you this recipe today!
Takeout Beef and Broccoli is not an authentic Chinese recipe, but rather a typical American version of Chinese-American takeout restaurants. The Stay At Home Chef uses ingredients that are easily accessible for most people in the United States and Canada so that anyone can easily celebrate world cuisines even if their opportunities for travel or access to regional ingredients are limited.
What cuts of beef can I use?
We love using flank steak in this recipe, but you can also use a flat iron steak, thinly sliced ribeye steak, or skirt steak.
The marinade is the key to perfectly tender and flavorful beef. You will not want to skip this step.
We love how fresh broccoli retains its texture and firmness, but you can also use frozen broccoli instead. If you use frozen, be sure to test your broccoli to be sure it is done.
Troubleshooting – My sauce is too thin:
If you want to thicken up your sauce a bit, you can always make a cornstarch slurry. Simply stir 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into 1 tablespoon of water and add that to the skillet. Stir to incorporate into your sauce and give it a minute or two to thicken.
We highly recommend serving beef and broccoli over a bed of steamed rice for a complete meal.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a skillet on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Takeout Style Beef and Broccoli
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 large heads broccoli cut into florets, about 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the flank steak against the grain into thin slices. Put the slices into a mixing bowl with the brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes, and crushed garlic. Marinate at least 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet on high heat. Put the flank steak in with all of the marinade juices. Cook until the meat has browned up a bit, this should only take a few minutes.
- Add in the broccoli florets and garlic. Give all ingredients a big stir. Continue to cook all ingredients until the broccoli has softened and the beef is thoroughly cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired and serve over rice.