A moist and delicious triple chocolate malt cake with 3 layers of malt: malt chocolate cake, malt frosting, and a crushed malt crust. It’s a malt lover’s dream come true!
My husband is a huge malt lover. Several years ago I decided to take my recipe for The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake and turn it into a malted delight. The result is something that any malt lover will go “gaga” over. There’s a subtle taste of malt in the chocolate cake, an ooey gooey malt frosting in between the layers and on the sides of the cake, crushed malt balls on the sides for the wow factor, and it’s all topped off with a decadent chocolate ganache.
The frosting in this recipe can be quite gooey. The malt powder gives it a consistency that is a little tougher to spread. No worries, because this recipe is fool proof. If you watch the video you’ll notice that there are crumbs all over my frosting when I frosted the sides. Not to worry! The malt balls and the ganache hide just about any mistake. It’s genius I tell you! I’m kind of a terrible cake decorator so I need a cake that can hide my impatience and lack of craftiness!
Be sure to watch the video where I give you tons of other great tips for making this delicious cake. It should answer all of your questions! If not, drop me a comment and I’ll get you an answer.
My Other Recipes
Triple Malt Chocolate Cake
Print Pin Rate
Triple Malt Chocolate Cake
A moist and delicious triple chocolate malt cake with 3 layers of malt: malt chocolate cake, malt frosting, and a crushed malt crust. It's a malt lover's dream come true!
Servings: 16 Servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1½ cups malted milk powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 cups powdered sugar approximate
- 4 cups malt balls crushed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour (or cocoa powder) and tap out the excess.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, malt powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined. Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
- Divide batter among the three pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake meets the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean). Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, make your frosting. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese with a hand mixer (or you can use a stand mixer). Add in the malted milk powder and vanilla and mix until combined. Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until desired consistency achieved. It should take approximately 6 cups. It should be spreadable, but not runny. It needs to be able to hold to the cake.
- Assemble the cake by frosting in between the 3 layers and the sides of the cake. Place 1 cup crushed malt balls on the outside edges of the cake. Just take a handful and gently smoosh it into the frosting.
- Make chocolate ganache: In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once it boils, remove from heat and add in the chocolate chips, stirring until smooth. Pour over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Cool to harden.
Calories: 816kcal | Carbohydrates: 124g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 696mg | Potassium: 448mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 95g | Vitamin A: 16% | Vitamin C: 0.7% | Calcium: 14.8% | Iron: 17.3%
This recipe first appeared on The Stay At Home Chef on March 26, 2013.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!