The Most Amazing Texas Sheet Cake is light and fluffy with a deliciously decadent cooked frosting on top. Sprinkle on some chopped pecans or walnuts and you have a sheet cake that people will rave over!
After receiving an insane number of requests, we’ve taken our recipe for The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake and turned it into a Texas Sheet Cake that is absolute perfection. A simple cake batter is made using just one bowl which keeps things nice and easy on this cake. The real highlight of a Texas Sheet Cake is a cooked frosting that is poured over the cake while it is still warm. The cake is often finished off chopped nuts.
Can I make this in a 9×13 pan?
This recipe can be made in a 9×13 pan, however, it will require a longer baking time. A 9×13 cake generally takes 35-40 minutes to bake.
Nuts or no nuts? Do I have to put nuts on a Texas Sheet Cake?
Chopped pecans or walnuts are often spotted on a Texas Sheet Cake. They are completely optional, of course, especially if you are allergic. You can stir the nuts into the frosting itself before pouring it over the cake, or you can sprinkle them on top. It’s up to you!
What size of a sheet cake pan do you use to make Texas Sheet Cake?
Sheet cakes are generally made in an 13×18-inch sheet pan that’s also known as a baker’s half sheet. These sheet pans are common household pans as they are the perfect size to fit into a regular standard size home oven.
If you like this recipe you may also be interested in these delicious chocolate desserts:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
The Most Amazing Texas Sheet Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x18 inch baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until combined and batter is smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes. Pour batter into prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING
- Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat. Whisk in cocoa powder, then pour in buttermilk. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Once the mixture is simmering, remove from the heat and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over cake to cover. Use a rubber spatula to smooth out and spread if needed. Sprinkle on chopped pecans. Let the cake and frosting cool completely before cutting and serving.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!