Old Fashioned Strawberry Pie is made completely from scratch with an almost creamy strawberry sauce smothering fresh strawberries. Top it all off with a cream cheese whipped topping for the perfect strawberry pie!
What can be used to thicken pie filling?
There are a handful of common agents used to thicken pie fillings. Flour, cornstarch, tapioca, and gelatin are the most common ones. Each of them has their advantages and disadvantages and are used for different purposes.
Strawberry pie is now commonly made with a gelatin based filling to make things easier. While you certainly can add a package of strawberry jello in as your pie thickener, we like to use from scratch cooking and find that a cornstarch based filling produces a more enjoyable result. Rather than a pie filling that tastes like jello, instead we ended up with an almost creamy filling with whole, fresh strawberries inside.
Can you freeze a fresh strawberry pie?
Yes you can, but be warned that the juices may be a bit runnier once thawed again. Fresh strawberry pies are best enjoyed fresh, but can still be quite tasty after being frozen and thawed.
Can you make strawberry pie with a store bought pie crust?
Yes you can! Store bought pie crusts can be purchased in both the freezer section (near the other desserts) and the refrigerated section (near Pillsbury crescent type products). Frozen pie crusts will already be in their own tin and are ready to bake per package instructions. Refrigerated pie crusts need to be be rolled out and placed in a pie plate and baked.
If you like this recipe, you may enjoy these other fantastic pie recipes:
- Perfect Peach Pie
- Blueberry Pie
- Easy Peasy Pumpkin Pie
- Peanut Butter Fudge Pie with Pretzel Crust
- Chocolate Glazed Pumpkin Pie
- S’mores Pie
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- 1 baked deep dish pie shell
- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slice strawberries. Mash some of the strawberries until you have 1 cup mashed. Place the remaining strawberries into the baked pie shell. Place into the refrigerator for later use.
- Place 1 cup mashed strawberries into a large saucepan. Stir in sugar, water, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.
- Allow mixture to cool, 1 hour. Pour cooled mixture over the strawberries. Return pie to the fridge until set, about 4 hours.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat heavy cream with cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag to pipe designs onto finished pie, or serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!