An easy recipe for slow cooker turkey soup! This recipe is great for using up leftover turkey after Thanksgiving, but you can also make it any time by substituting shredded chicken!
Hi everyone! Sam here from Sugar Spun Run again, but with a savory recipe this time! Today I wanted to share one of my current favorite slow cooker meals with you — this Slow Cooker Turkey Soup.
This recipe is specifically designed to use up leftover turkey after Thanksgiving (because here we always end up with way more than we know what to do with — and it’s for this exact reason I shared my favorite turkey pot pie recipe last year). After a few days of grueling holiday prep, the last thing I want to do is spend another night in the kitchen, so this slow cooker turkey soup is a great way to knock out your leftovers (without getting totally sick of them) and give you a break from the stovetop.
My Other Recipes
Just about all of the ingredients are tossed into the crockpot and cook on high for several hours. We leave out the turkey because it’s already been cooked, and we’ll add that just a half an hour before the soup is finished cooking.
Because I like my soups to be fairly hearty, I like to puree a small portion of the soup (the veggies and broth, once they’re tender after cooking, but before adding the turkey), return it to the crockpot, and then add a bit of heavy cream and the turkey. This thickens up the body of the soup and gives it a great texture, but you can skip the pureeing entirely if you’d like!
And that’s it, an easy low-maintenance recipe for slow cooker turkey soup. It’s a great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken. Now if you’re trying to get rid of any leftover desserts (like maybe a slice of pumpkin cheesecake, perhaps) just send those my way 😉
Slow Cooker Turkey Soup
- 1 1/4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes diced no large than 1"
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups cooked shredded turkey
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp parsley dried
- Combine potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, chicken broth, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and bay leaf in your crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until vegetables are tender..
- Uncover and measure out approximately 2 cups of soup (be sure to avoid bay leaf,) and transfer into a blender*.
- Puree briefly until ingredients are mostly combined.
- Return pureed soup to crockpot and add shredded turkey, heavy cream and parsley. Stir well, cover, and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!