Creamy Cauliflower Soup is the perfect comfort food for cold days. This easy vegetable soup is full of both flavor and nutrition!
This cauliflower soup is easy enough to make. You’ll start by sautéing your vegetables in a combination of butter and olive oil. We recommend using a combination of cauliflower, onion, celery, and carrots to build flavor. Don’t worry, cauliflower remains the star of the show here. Add in a hint of garlic flavor and thyme and oregano for our herb additions. This is all simmered in vegetable broth and milk for our creamy element and thickened slightly using cornstarch. The result is a creamy cauliflower soup the whole family will love!
Do I have to use vegetable broth? Can I use chicken broth instead?This cauliflower soup calls for vegetable broth as the main liquid ingredient to simmer our vegetables in, build flavor, and provide the basis for our soup. Vegetable broth is the preferred ingredient for this vegetable soup, but you CAN use chicken broth in its place. It will change the overall flavor from a lighter vegetable flavor, to a heavier meaty flavor even though there is no meat in this recipe.
How can I reduce the calories in this recipe?This recipe is fairly low in calories to begin with, but if you want an even lighter soup, it’s the milk that contains the majority of the calories. Milk is added in this recipe for that delicious creamy element. Instead of using milk, replace it with additional vegetable broth. Still want that creamy element? Remove 2 cups of the soup (including vegetables) and puree. Stir this pureed soup back into the pot and it will feel more creamy, without the additional calories from the milk.
If you like this recipe, you may like these other delicious soup recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large heads cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 3 carrots diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in cauliflower, onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more. Stir in thyme, oregano, and cornstarch and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and milk. Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer 3 to 5 minutes until the soup has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.