Deliciously easy Cinnamon Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a delightful side dish to add some sweet flavor to your dinner.
Mashed sweet potatoes are easy to make and in this recipe they are sweetened with a delicious cinnamon honey butter for a mash that is sure to become a family favorite. To make this recipe, sweet potatoes are peeled, diced, and boiled in plain water until tender. The amount of time that they take to reach tender will depend on how small you dice your sweet potatoes. We recommend dicing them quite small.
Once the sweet potatoes are tender they are then drained and transferred to a large mixing bowl. Cinnamon, honey, and butter are all added to the sweet potatoes along with milk. Everything is then mashed until everything is melted and combined.
PRO TIP: Place the sweet potatoes into the pot before you fill the pot with water. This will make it so there’s no unnecessary splashing which can be dangerous if you bring your water to a boil before adding the sweet potatoes.
What is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams?In America the terms “Sweet Potato” and “Yam” are used interchangeably and refer to that potato looking thing with the red skin and orange flesh. Yet, you have probably seen something else in the grocery store labeled sweet potato with a light yellow skin, while your orange flesh variety is labeled yams. Guess what? Both of them are sweet potatoes!
The kind of sweet potatoes you think of as yams are simply dark skinned sweet potatoes. You won’t commonly come across true yams in an American grocery store. True yams have brown or black skin and the flesh is either red, purple, or off white. Crazy, huh? You thought you’ve been eating yams all these years!
What is the best way to mash sweet potatoes?To mash sweet potatoes you can use either a traditional potato masher, a potato ricer, or you can use a hand mixer.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious potato side dish recipes:
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Steakhouse Style Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- The Creamiest Mashed Potatoes
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Cinnamon Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 to 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Place cubed sweet potatoes into a large pot. Fill with water to cover. Place on the stove and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer sweet potatoes until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain well.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl while still hot. Add in butter, honey, cinnamon, and milk. Mash using a potato masher, or use a hand mixer to blend until smooth and well combined.
- Serve hot.