Deliciously easy Cinnamon Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a delightful side dish to add some sweet flavor to your dinner.
We are huge fans of traditional mashed potatoes. You really can’t go wrong by adding mashed potatoes as a side dish to your dinner. However, lately we’ve noticed this trend of sweet potatoes substituting regular potatoes. There are sweet potato fries, baked sweet potatoes, so why not mashed sweet potatoes? While regular mashed potatoes are delicious in their own right, mashed sweet potatoes add a sweetness that is heavenly. It could also have something to do with that honey and cinnamon stirred right in to the sweet potatoes. You can make this any time of year, but we especially love it during the holidays!
What is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams?
In America, the terms “Sweet Potato” and “Yam” are used interchangeably and refer to that potato looking thing with the red skin and orange flesh. Yet, you have probably seen something else in the grocery store labeled sweet potato with a light yellow skin, while your orange flesh variety is labeled yams. Guess what? Both of them are sweet potatoes!
The kind of sweet potatoes you think of as yams are simply dark skinned sweet potatoes. You won’t commonly come across true yams in an American grocery store. True yams have brown or black skin and the flesh is either red, purple, or off-white. Crazy, huh? You thought you’ve been eating yams all these years!
What is the best way to mash sweet potatoes?
To mash sweet potatoes, you can use either a traditional potato masher, a potato ricer, or you can use a hand mixer.
Place the sweet potatoes into the pot before you fill the pot with water. This will make it so there’s no unnecessary splashing which can be dangerous if you bring your water to a boil before adding the sweet potatoes.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Microwave single serving portions in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious potato side dish recipes:
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Steakhouse Style Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- The Creamiest Mashed Potatoes
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Cinnamon Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 to 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes in a large pot. Fill the pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the still-hot sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add the butter, honey, cinnamon, milk, and salt (if using). Using a hand mixer, whip the potatoes until light, fluffy, and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. (Alternatively, you can use a potato masher or a potato ricer to mash the potatoes.) Taste the potatoes and add more salt, if desired. Serve hot.