Crispy pork belly and 5 different kinds of cheese melted together to create the ultimate Gourmet Bacon Mac and Cheese. This is the kind of macaroni and cheese adults can swoon over.
A while ago we ate at a local gastropub called The Flying Pig, and we haven’t been that impressed with a meal in a long time. We started off our meal with an incredible bacon mac and cheese. I inquired as to the types of cheeses that went into this magical creation and was given an answer. It was easy enough to experiment a little at home and come up with a great replica of the dish.
They used a really great diced pork belly for their bacon which I only wish I had. We subbed pancetta which was still absolutely delicious. The cheese sauce combines goat cheese with white and yellow cheddar and brie. It’s then topped with provolone and baked, creating a scrumptious crust. We found a tasty sharp provolone and shredded it on top, but you can use slices from the deli just fine. This stuff is seriously good. We may have fought over the leftovers…
Pork Belly Substitutions:We know not everyone has access to a fantastic butcher. In place of pork belly you can use pancetta or bacon.
Cheese Options:Let’s talk cheeses. You want a mixture of many different types of cheese in this Mac and cheese, but you can experiment with the type of cheese you use. If you don’t love one of these, go ahead and swap it out with something you do love. Just make sure you are keeping a wide variety. What makes this dish so good is the fact that it is more than just a standard cheddar.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:Move leftovers to an airtight Tupperware and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can either reheat in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through, or in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious pasta recipes:
- Best Baked Ziti Ever
- The Most Amazing Lasagna Recipe
- Creamy Pasta Primavera
- White Spinach Artichoke Lasagna
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Gourmet Bacon Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces Pork belly diced
- 1 pound Elbow noodles
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 1/2 cups Milk
- 4 ounces Sharp white cheddar
- 4 ounces Sharp yellow cheddar
- 4 ounces Plain goat cheese
- 4 ounces Brie cheese
- 4 ounces Smoked provolone cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Cook the pork belly in a small skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until crispy. Drain excess fat and set aside.
- Make your cheese sauce by melting 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) in a saucepan. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour, ground mustard, onion powder and salt to create a thick paste. Whisk in your milk and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Once it begins to bubble, immediately remove from heat and add in the goat cheese, cheddars, and brie stirring until all the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray. Put your cooked noodles in the pan and pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Add the pancetta in and stir until everything is evenly mixed. Top with provolone cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.