We’ve been devouring this little treat for the past few days. I found some beautiful meyer lemons at Costco and couldn’t resist turning them into something yummy. We started out with a loaf of my very favorite homemade bread. It was heavenly smothered in this lemon curd. Between the four of us (2 adults, 2 small children), we ate the entire loaf in a single sitting.
Next, we moved on to English muffins. Oh, my! Breakfast has turned into snack time and dessert.
I have great plans of making donuts and using this as a filling. Or a cake. A triple layer vanilla cake with lemon curd between layers would be decadently amazing! However you use it, even if you just eat it with a spoon, will be awesome. So many uses!
Cooking Time: About 15 minutes
Yield: 3 half-pint jars
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 TB. lemon zest
12 egg yolks
1 cup butter
1. Combine sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture is hot, but not yet simmering.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth.
3. Slowly pour some (about 1/3) of the hot sugar mixture into the bowl, whisking constantly.
4. Transfer all of the egg mixture into the saucepan, whisking to combine, over medium heat.
5. Slice the butter into tablespoon-size slices and add into the hot mixture. Stir until butter is melted and mixture thickens.
6. Pour through a mesh sieve into canning jars or a large bowl. Mixture will fill 3 half-pint jars.
7. Cool to room temperature and store in the fridge.
MY OTHER RECIPES