Old Fashioned Lemon Pound Cake is full of lemon flavor in the perfect dense and delicious cake. It can easily be made in a bundt cake, tube pan, or two loaf pans.
Traditional pound cake is made with equal parts butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. Lemon Pound Cake is a variation on classic pound cake that is flavored with lemon. In this recipe we’ve replaced some of the butter with cream cheese which compliments the lemon flavor really well. We’ve used lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract for a triple hit of lemon flavor. And that’s just the cake batter itself! We’ve also included lemon juice in the icing as well.
What kind of pan should I use?
You can use this recipe in a standard bundt cake pan, a tube pan, or you can use 2 standard sized loaf pans. No changes are needed in the amounts in the recipe.
PRO TIP: When using a bundt cake pan t’s important that you grease the pan really well. You can grease the pan with shortening or butter, then dust with flour. Another option is to use “pan release” which is a mixture of shortening, oil, and flour.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in some of my other delicious cake recipes:
STORAGE: Pound cake needs to be stored in an airtight container to keep it from drying out. Be sure that it is completely cool before placing it into a storage container or plastic bag to prevent condensation from forming.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Old Fashioned Lemon Pound Cake
Lemon Pound Cake
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Lemon Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt cake pan well and dust with flour to prevent cake from sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar until smooth.
- Add in eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Mix in lemon juice, lemon extract, vanilla extract, and lemon zest until combined.
- Slowly add in flour, mixing in between additions. Once just combined, pour into prepared bundt cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes (or up to 1 hour and 30 minutes). Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and inverting to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Once cake is completely cooled, slowly drizzle lemon glaze over the top of the cake and let sit until hardened.