Deep Fried Oreos are one of our favorite carnival foods, that you can now make at home! They are super easy to make, and your family will be begging for more!
What could we possibly say about deep fried Oreos? They are little pieces of heaven. There is nothing quite so amazing as taking an already delicious cookie and then frying it to golden brown perfection and sprinkling it with powdered sugar. It is seriously one of our most favorite foods ever. You no longer have to wait until the next carnival, you can now enjoy these any time you want! You can thank me later.
If you do not have buttermilk, you can make your own buttermilk substitute by adding 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice to 2 cups of milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes before adding in to your batter.
Can Homemade Fried Oreos be made gluten free?
Absolutely! You can use gluten-free Oreos, or your favorite gluten-free Oreo style cookies, and swap out the flour for a gluten-free flour blend.
Single vs. Double Stuf:
We are a big fan of double stuf Oreos in this house, but you can use either single or double stuf.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Fried Oreos are best eaten fresh, and will get soggy quickly. You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a toaster oven or regular oven until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious dessert recipes:
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Deep Fried Oreos
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 24 Oreo cookies
- oil for frying vegetable or canola
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour in eggs and buttermilk and mix until the batter is mostly smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Pour in enough oil to come up the sides of the pan about 3-4 inches. Let the oil heat up to about 350 degrees.
- Working in small batches of 6 to 8 cookies, dip an Oreo into the bowl of batter. Make sure to coat all sides, Then carefully place into hot skillet. Fry until golden brown, flip, and fry the other side until it is also golden brown. About 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the fried Oreos to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate or caramel sauce.