Cheddar Batter Bread is cheesy, soft, and satisfies all of those savory bread cravings. Not only that, it’s easy to boot and ready in just 90 minutes!
Baking is one of our favorite things to do in the middle of this freezing winter weather. Not only does using the oven warm up the house, but warm bread also warms up our bellies! Cheddar batter bread totally satisfies all of our baking cravings. It’s cheesy, soft, and totally delicious straight out of the oven. We like to spread a little apple butter on top, and that combination of the cheddar with the apple is just so homey and inviting…so we typically invite ourselves to devour the entire loaf! We truly apologize for introducing you to this recipe, because once you’ve tried it you won’t be able to stop eating it until both loaves are gone!
Here’s the deal: batter breads have an extremely wet dough. If you’ve been making sourdough or french bread or even sandwich bread lately, this dough may throw you for a minute. Don’t worry though and just trust the process. This dough is meant to be quite wet, so just keep on going with the recipe and we promise it will turn out. It really is a fairly simple and easy recipe. Some bread recipes are really involved and time consuming, which is why we keep coming back to cheddar batter bread time and time again. It is quick, it is easy, and it is delicious.
Don’t have buttermilk on hand? No problem! You can always make a buttermilk substitute. For this recipe, you will need 3/4 cup of milk and 3/4 tablespoon of white vinegar. Stir together and let sit for 5 minutes and voilà, you have buttermilk!
We love this recipe as is, but there are plenty of different cheeses you could try out depending on your personal taste preferences. A few cheeses to consider: asiago, gouda, and colby.
Can I use bread flour in cheddar batter bread?
Yes, you have the option to use either all purpose or bread flour. Some bakers prefer to always use bread flour, so it’s just up to your own personal preferences.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious bread recipes:
- Perfect Homemade French Bread
- Rustic Garlic Parmesan Herb Bread
- Irish Soda Bread
- Blueberry Pancake Bread
Cheddar Batter Bread
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Frank's Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Add in buttermilk and water and heat until it is just warm to the touch.
- Transfer the liquids into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the yeast. Whisk in the 3 eggs and hot sauce.
- Add in the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt on a low setting to combine.
- Add in the 4 cups of flour and knead on a medium setting until well combined. Stir in the parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Divide the dough in two and place each half into a greased bread pan.
- Let rise 45 minutes. After the dough rises, whisk together 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Brush over the tops of each loaf.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes.