Caramel Churro Waffles start with a fluffy, egg white whipped batter to keep them light, slathered in butter, dusted in cinnamon sugar and topped with caramel sauce for one tasty dessert.
Saturday mornings are all about the fancy breakfasts. Week days can feel hectic and rushed and who has time for a made from scratch breakfast anyway? But weekends are tailor made for homemade waffles, and this recipe is just amazing.
Churro waffle batter is made from scratch for a light airy waffle with the right amount of crispiness on the outside. It truly is delicious all by itself. Top your waffle with a caramel sauce and you will have an out of this world experience. It’s a bold statement, we know. But these really are THAT good.
Are Caramel Churro Waffles breakfast or dessert?Yes. They are everything and anything. OK, that might be a stretch, but these really do work as either breakfast or dessert. If you are the type to need a more balanced breakfast, just cook up some eggs on the side, add some fresh fruit, and you’ve got an amazing breakfast on your hands.
Oil vs. Butter:The topic of oil vs melted butter in waffles has been highly debated over the years. You can always experiment and see which you prefer, but especially in this churro waffle, we recommend sticking with the melted butter as called for.
Caramel Sauce:You can find caramel sauce in your local grocery store’s baking aisle. Common brands you might find are Ghiradelli and Smuckers. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, you could always make some from scratch!
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious breakfast dessert recipes:
- Caramelized Waffles (Liege Waffles)
- Churro Funnel Cakes
- The Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Ever
- Ultimate Guide to British Scones
Original recipe courtesy of Kevin Is Cooking.
Caramel Churro Waffles
- 3 large eggs separated
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel
- whipped cream
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and the salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- Melt butter for assembly and set aside. If making your own whipped cream do this and then chill. In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- In a bowl or stand mixer whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and slowly add the sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together. Using a spatula, gently fold in the whipped egg whites and incorporate until combined.
- Cook waffles per your waffle manufacturer’s instructions.
- Brush each cooked waffle on both sides with butter and dredge each side in a bowl of the cinnamon sugar. Press to adhere all over.
- Serve with a spoonful of caramel and a dollop of whipped cream.