This Easy Braided Pumpkin Bread Recipe is a soft and moist yeast-based pumpkin loaf that is perfect to serve up alongside cold weather favorites like soups and stews.
This braided pumpkin bread is a loaf we’ve been making for years. You can use sweet potato or pumpkin puree in the recipe. We know that when you hear “pumpkin bread” you go straight to a quick bread like banana bread. Not so with this baby. This is a soft, tender yeast loaf with a subtle pumpkin flavor that is totally delicious served along side a hot soup.
Pumpkin bread recipes often refer to pumpkin quick breads. This recipe is a yeast based pumpkin bread and is NOT a traditional pumpkin quick bread. This makes a killer french toast that you can also freeze for easy breakfasts. Serve it up with a little cinnamon syrup and it is practically heaven on a plate!
Yeast Breads vs. Quick BreadsYeast breads require yeast for leavening, or the rising of the bread. Quick breads traditionally use baking soda or baking powder as the leavening agent. Yeast breads generally require a significant amount of time to rise, at least 1 hour or more, while quick breads require no rising time, but generally have a much longer baking time. The term “quick bread” is a bit of a misnomer. The bread is usually quick to get into the oven, but requires 45 minutes or more of baking time.
Fresh pumpkin vs. Canned Pumpkin:Using canned pumpkin puree is quick and easy, which is why we call for it in this recipe. However, if you would like to use fresh pumpkin, you can replace 1:1 with freshly roasted and pureed pumpkin.
Can I Make Braided Pumpkin Bread Dairy Free?Yes, you can make this recipe dairy free. Substitute the milk with your preferred plant based milk. For the butter, you will want to substitute with plant based butter sticks, and not a margarine or tub style butter alternative.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious pumpkin recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Braided Pumpkin Bread
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Dissolve the yeast into the water in a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add in the pumpkin, milk, butter, egg, brown sugar and salt. Mix it until it is well combined.
- Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until a nice, soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes or so until is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise about 1 hour.
- Divide the risen dough into thirds. Roll out each third into a long snake or rope (about 18 inches long). Lay the 3 ropes next to each other on a lightly greased baking sheet. One one end of the rope, pinch the 3 strands together and begin to braid. When you’ve braided the whole thing, pinch the remaining ends together.
- Cover and let rise another 30 minutes or so. Brush the braided dough with the lightly beaten egg.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.