Tender morsels of beef are simmered in the most delicious, made from scratch sauce, and served over egg noodles in this Classic Beef and Noodles recipe. We’ve included stovetop, slow cooker, and instant pot instructions!
This recipe is exactly how we remember it as kids. There were certain recipes that we could always expect at grandma’s house. They were reserved for special occasions, and we even got to choose our favorite at our birthday dinners. While there were a handful of favorites to choose from, beef and noodles was always requested at every opportunity. While in certain regards our tastes have evolved over time, there is one thing that hasn’t — our love of a thick, creamy sauce, on top of a giant helping of noodles. Once you make this, we know it will become a family favorite for you as well!
Beef Options in Classic Beef and Noodles:
We used a sirloin steak in this recipe, and it was divine! Honestly though, you could use just about any cut of beef — stew meat, ribeye, tri tip, chuck steak, and even ground beef will do!
Wine is an optional, but highly recommended ingredient. It adds an extra depth of flavor to this dish, and the alcohol should cook out while simmering.
Beef and noodles is traditionally served with egg noodles. We grew up with grandma’s homemade noodles! However, you really can substitute with regular pasta if needed.
This dish is fantastic as is, but you can always add in sautéed mushrooms, frozen mixed veggies, or even some shredded cheddar cheese to beef this up a bit. Simply add them in when you add in the cream.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Beef and noodles is best eaten fresh. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious classic dinner recipes:
- Easy Chicken Alfredo
- Old Fashioned Beef Stroganoff
- The Most Amazing Lasagna Recipe
- Classic Chicken A La King
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Classic Beef and Noodles (Slow Cooker, Instant Pot or Stove Top)
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1/2-2 pounds beef sirloin steak cubed into 1"x1"
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup red wine optional
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound egg noodles
- Cut the beef into 1 inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper and dust with flour to coat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat cooking oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Without cleaning the skillet, add in butter and let melt over medium high heat. Add in steak cubes and cook until browned, 8-10 minutes. Work in batches if you need to so you don't crowd the pan.
- Return onions to the skillet. Pour in beef broth, red wine, mustard (optional) and garlic powder and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 25 minutes. Add in 1 cup of cream and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- While the beef is simmering, Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
- Season the beef sauce with salt and pepper, to taste and ladle onto the noodles.